Sign in to follow this  
ejoiner

PSS747 or wait !

I always loved the 747-400 but had to wait for Meljet to come up with what I consider the best textures so far. The only thing I'm missing is the right panel. Should I wait for the new 747 commercial add-ons that are awaited for end of this year or should I go ahead with the PSS747 ?Smalco

I'd go with the PSS panel, I've been using it for about two years now, and it's great. Also I don't see anyone coming out with a quality 744 panel anytime soon. I am using the PSS 744 panel with both POSKY and Meljet, I also use the load edit with both planes.

Rich,Can you tell me how to install the PSS 744 panel into Meljet's 747?Thanks---Jerry---

Go with PSS747 Panel...The flight Dynamics is also worth it

Jerryto use the pss panel with the meljet or any other 747 for that matter, create a new panel file with this text in it.. [fltsim]alias=pss-747panelThere are only 2 problems I have found. The auto throttle behaving strangely and the speed brake warning appearing on odd occassions.:-)Pete

I had kind of the same problem after using WAC's contact points..To correct this I had to reset FS2K to the default Meigs Field and then select the PSS747(Mel)...This worked wellTroy

Pete,Thanks for the reply.Do you mean go into:C:P FilesMS GamesFS2002AircraftBoeing747-400MJPanel and change the Panel cfg file from alias=b747_400panel to alias=pss-747panel?Thanks again---Jerry---

I use the PSS 744 and as a life-long 744 fan I think it is superb. I had it in FS2000 and migrated it and updated it for FS2002. There is nothing like it for the money. The default PSS 744s are also excellent and the FDE is much improved for 2002. Anything new will need a lot of tweaking etc. I'd buy the PSS but beware if you wish to use it with any non-PSS jets, you will need to make some edits in the various cfg folders. After making some edits, I use the PSS panel on POSKY 744s and that works well. I also use the PSS panel on POSKY 777s and they work well too.JS

After many months procrastination, I finally broke down and bought the PSS 747-400 about two weeks ago. For the most part, I have been extremely impressed with the panel, flight dynamics, sounds (gotta love those throaty RR donk sounds) and of course the immersive FMC. I went for the download version, which makes it significantly cheaper to own than a local purchase option - AUD$100 local (boxed version with video) versus approx AUD$36 (base + 2 liveries) downloaded.I am having some teething problems with the aircraft though, but I suspect most of my problems are related to getting switchology sequences mixed up. In particular, I find the autopilot panel to be very finnicky, and quite often defies FS2K2 default logic. For example I find if I select non-VNAV/LNAV modes such as SPD, HDG or ALT hold, and APP, I can't deleselect them without disengaging the entirer autopilot. Also, trying to work out how to engage altitude changes in VNAV at the various phases of flight has provided much entertainment - do I just change the altitude number, do I click the centre of the ALT button, how do I know the next altitude that has been commanded by such actions?The other area of entertainment for me has been with the FMC. Not so much standard FMC use, but moreso to do with changes to flight plans, SIDs/STARs, alternate destinations, etc whilst in flight. I fly online with VATSIM and have found replanning to cause major confusion with the FMC (yes I do EXEC my changes) particularly with it working out where TOD is going to be, the aircraft failing to descend when required (despite making furious AP changings with ALT values and centre button clicks), and ILS approach irregularities (locking onto phantom ILS approaches, or just missing an obvious intercept of the localiser). The tutorials are a great learning tool, but don't seem to cover these replanning issues.Sorry to hijack your thread with some of my issues, but I'd like to finish by saying that overall I am extremely please with this aircraft package and I'm sure that with a little procedural advice I will overcome the few problems I have had. To that end, any suggestions from the PSS crowd out there would be appreciated.Gary

Jerry ... yes exactly.. change the mj panel config to alias the pss panel, as you rightly stated. This proceedure is known as aliasing, you can also alias sounds aswell using the same method.although you probably did it by now...oh!.. one more thing if you edit this line in the aircraft config, changing the thrust scaler from 1.0 to 0.8 like this:[jet_engine]thrust_scalar = 0.8It reduces the strange behaviour with the auto throttles to a managable level although it doesn't fix it completely.:-)Pete

Hi GaryVery interesting to read your summary of this product and have just obtained a copy for myself, 747 and 777 combined now for the life of me I cannot see how to change the course on the panel, I must be missing something or just plain dumb which is proabably more to the point of the problem.Anyway you may be able to help out, heading, Alt, speed, all there but course ??.Cheers from Sydney.Greg

One I can answer! You set your course headings in the FMC on the NAV RADIO page.Gary