Sign in to follow this  

ActiveSky Update

Damian,This is simply incredible work you are doing.Michael J.

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

...i do agree!Damian,most people here fly loading a saved METAR.I usually run FSMeteo on a second PC networked to my server running FS2002; and do not have internet connection on that client.So i can only run previous downloaded files.Thanks a lot for your great addon!!!cheersLuigi ;-)

Thanks Damian,the info is very promising..You the man!Troy

Damian,In regards to the weather type briefing you described up above, this is based on real-world weather that you d/l correct? Also, how often can you set up Active-Sky to d/l real world weather? I have an "always-on" connection so I hope it is around the 6 minute mark that FS Meteo has? Also, are your winds-aloft accurate based on real-world winds or are they just made up by the program? I choose my overseas routes/fuel calculations on real-world winds aloft that I am getting with FS Meteo right now. It sounds like you are gettting alot more stuff put into this than FS Meteo has, that is why I am asking as I am thinking of switching to your program (after spending money on the FS Meteo 5.2 upgrade!). Thanks

Eric 

>Hi Johan, >>Check it out: The new Weather Briefing interface works like >this: >>You enter your departure, destination, alternate, and >enroute stations you'd like to use (this can be >autocalculated and/or imported from FS or FSNAV). You also >enter your cruise altitude, departure time and ETE. >>ActiveSky wxRE will then create an intuitive report >including: >>Synopsis >Departure weather >Destination weather >Alternate weather >Enroute weather >Departure forecast >Destination forecast >Alternate forecast >Enroute / Area forecast >Winds aloft forecasts >>Links for actual detailed briefing info (Airmets/Sigmets, >NOTAMS, etc) are also provided. >>This will all be printable (now that you made the >suggestion!) and you will get a report very similar to what >yould get from an FSS briefer. >>Upon generation of the report, destination force will >automatically set and you're ready for your flight (if you >decide to go!) >>During your flight, you'll be able to get a weather update, >INSIDE the sim by hotkey, based on your initial briefing. >>>Pretty cool huh? >>-Damian Thats what I ment. Great!! But the weather still can change after this? I mean, it doesnt lock destination weather to what one got before? Othwerwise it hasnt any spurises left :-)Johan[A HREF=http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk]Phoenix Simulation Software[/A]-----http://www.people.zeelandnet.nl/johdUnofficial PSS Website

You can make Active-Sky download as often as you want. The limitation, as I understand it, is that the weather info being downloaded is only updated every 30 to six minutes. This same limitation exists with FS Meto as the Meto info is coming from the same source. Active-Sky is free. Why don't you try it and see what you think? I have never tried FS Meto, but I love Active-Sky!Tony

Damian,Glad to see improvements to weather coming. Two features about ActiveSky interest me -- intelligent transition, and (what seems to be first time anywhere) use of TAFs. TAFs are important, and not only for the reason you've stated. TAF (and FA, area forecasts) are the only way to know about WX above 12,000', since that's as high as the automated equipment responsible for the vast majority of METAR reports goes. It's very frustrating to look outside, see several scattered to broken layers in the mid to upper levels, yet on FS I'm in clear blues, because the local METAR sees nothing BLO 12K. I sincerely hope that TAFs will be used together with METARs (and hopefully FA in future?) to allow a better representation of those moody, cirrus and ACCS-filled skies that we're having lately!Best of luck with ActiveSky -- even though I'm a FSMeteo user, I'm watching this with lively interest!Kind Regards, --BeachComer Stephen "Beach" Comer Real World Pile-it Commercial ASMEL, Instrument Airplane 4500 TT, 2500 BE20 & BE10 Serving Happy Landings Since 1973!