Sign in to follow this  

Designing in 3ds max

Has anyone yet designed an aircraft in 3ds max? If so, what are the advantages over gmax? Is it really any better of a program if I was going to use it strictly for FS a/c design? I heard that Yeodesigns did their 732 on 3ds max. Thanks!

3ds max is much better than GMAX. The instant I loaded 3ds max, I was awe-struck. I didn't realize how much stuff was left OUT of GMAX. Oh, and can I say a rendering? Theres another feature. I would prefer 3ds max, due to NURBS being avail, but as far as I've seen, RHINO3D was supposed to be an excellent program for modeling, but don't quote me on that...

Guest HARD_LANDINGS

hi folks. . yea i did the 732 on gmax .. but the 3d studio max .. the modelling tools are almost the same ... apart of some .. 3d max is just focused to profesional 3d composing.. with forces and dinamics ,effects ,global lighting and a state of the art rendering system ... but fs doesnt use all those complex features... so gmax has only the necesary tools that 3d max used to model basic and semi-complex models ... so if you are going to use it ... i dont see any diference .. so id say use GMAX .... at least you want to render your planes .. but its a little annoying after to have to export your plane in .3ds files and then import them in gmax :D(did it once .. so i know what is it)so i repeat .. . in my opinion .. use GMAX .. is better if its focused only to fs regards David Segovia

Hi there " lightsaber" 1st a few things about NURBS modeling. As far as I know no game engine uses NURBS the underling math is just too much for to-days consumer hardware to handle in real time. You would have to convert your NURBS models to standard meshes and unless your NURBS was VERY simple when converted it would be very high polly. 2nd NURBS(Non Uniform Rational Beta Splines) are for modeling complexorganics so it's useless to model something like an aircraft with NURBS anyway. Perhaps you should tell people that 3DS max is I beleve$3995 us for the basic version while gmax is "free" and has all thefeatures that a consumer could ever need to add to this sim (or anyother game for that matter)as most if not all the additional features that 3DS Max has are for the non gamming market. While it is true that many leading titles are devloped using 3DS max it's nota "consumer" level pice of software that's for sure. In closeingRhino3D is a great program as well but you still need gmax to get your models into 2002 anyway. Dan