Sign in to follow this  
Guest Charlie

Nature of a Forum

Guest Alan van der Vyver

Hi!After recently discovering criticism of the tone of the AVSim forums and even an attempt to organise a boycott of AVSim, I decided to take a look at the FlightSim forums. What I discovered disturbs me.I believe a forum is a place where people can express and trade ideas and opinions. That includes opinions we don't agree with or even like. If all the opinions are similar and there is no criticism, the forum is diminished. Diversity adds vitality.I was horrified at how quickly the moderator (censor) stepped in at FlightSim. The result is a plodding dullness. I hope you have the courage to leave your forum policy pretty much as it is.regards,Alan.

Guest desertflyer

I used to post over at flightsim but got tired and frustrated with the moderators and a lot of the folks there. I suppose it is the nature of these forums as the sim goes from initial release to maturity to see the topics change, but lately it has been too much. To top it off, trying to get an answer from a moderator is impossible. Finally I got tired of PMing, email, and sending up smoke signals and just flat out asked in the open what the heck was going on. I know it is not polite, and against their rules, but when they claim to take into account feedback yet still ignore repeated attempts to politely settle disputes, you have to do something drastic. It is sad when on any forum PC means politically correct and not personal computer.

Ideas and opinions are fine as long as they pertain to flight simming, a flight sim forum is no place to discuss politics, religion, etc.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Jeff, seems to me you are being a bit presumptious. No where did either of the poster mention politics or religion. Where does "diversity of opinion" imply either one of those? I believe, and orginal posters tell me if I am wrong, they WERE referring to flight simulation or aviation topics...

Guest desertflyer

You are right. What drove me off was not politics, but the lack of being able to discuss aviation and simulation. Who cared how long a thread went on? If people didn't want to read it they could move on! Threads about my framerates are better than your framerates can drone on and on for 5 or more pages but oh boy, don't discuss what might possibly be wrong with the newest releases of one of our sponsors!P.C. is another way of saying "Oh boy, we don't want to risk the slightest chance of offending someone."

Hi all,I guess my last post was accidentally looked over. Basically, I was just saying that it is important to maintain an environment that is conducive to both learning and teaching. The nature of a forum is determined by what types of discussions are and are not allowed. Discussions concerning politics and those that arouse strong feelings from viewers should be avoided, and we must remember to be sensitive to other's beliefs and ideas.Thanks,Jeff

Jeff

Guest Alan van der Vyver

Hi!Now that is precisely where I would disagree with you and it is the point of my original post.Obviously, the posts should be on topic. If the topic of the forum is flight simulation, then posts that do not relate to flight simulation should be removed.Where I disagree is in the censorship of opinions that might "arouse strong feelings from viewers". It is not always easy to know just what that might be. My prvious statement might have offended you. In trying to police that, moderators often suppress anything even slightly controversial and the result is a boring "praise circle".I prefer to try to be sensitive others beliefs and ideas, but I will strongly defend anyone's right to not do so. I definitely do not want to see, even openly inflamatory comments removed. Provided the comment is on topic and is not essentially nothing more than an expletive. I want to see it published.A forum is only worth reading if the participants are allowed to express themselves as they want to - with only a minimum of rules. regards,Alan

Alan,Right, I understand what you're saying. Let me just clarify that what I mean is that hey, if someone has an opinion, share it, and then the next guy says, "you know, you're an idiot because you believe..." in this or that. Those posts should be removed, why? Because they offer nothing meaningful to the discussion, really what good are they? That's all I'm talking about. A forum where openly inflammatory posts are encouraged seems a little silly, but that's just me.Jeff

Jeff

Guest desertflyer

Jeff, I did read your posts and my replies were in answer to yours. What is wrong with strong feelings so long as the discussion is kept polite? If you cannot argue your strongly held beliefs without resorting to grade school name calling and other antics perhaps it is time to take a look at them. If you cannot defend those views against the arguments of others then perhaps, just perhaps you might need to change YOUR views. Politics is a part of aviation be it Boeing vs Airbus or GA airport spending vs Big Iron. When goverments get involved in the flying business, then there will be that dirty word...politics. I also do not buy into this new way of thinking called "being sensitive". I do believe in respecting others rights to say their mind but why should I keep quiet just because it might upset someone? More important, who is to be the judge of what is upsetting and what is allowed? Double standards come into play very very quickly when this sort of thing is allowed. Some of the most closed minded people I have encountered are the ones who demand that others be sensitive to their feelings, but they do not hesitate to get the flamethrower out if you question them. An idea is forged and tempered like a fine tool under the fire and pressure of discussion and argument.