Sign in to follow this  
Guest flightpro08

XPpro or windows 98??

Guest Louis

Which is the better OS for FS2002, Win 98 or XPpro?I've been using 98 and everything is running quite stable, but am upgrading and was thinking of installing XPpro.I fly online a lot and run Roger Wilco, squawkbox and active sky. This all runs well with 98, will it run as or more stable with XPpro? Any opinions?Thanks,Louis CYYC

I upgraded to XP Pro from Win ME and have to say it has been a good experience for me. XP is more stable than ME was and overall seems to be good.That being said, unless you are having problems, I don't know if I'd bother. But if you're having a problem with stability, etc, then I recommend XP Pro for sure. I had one older program (Chessmaster 6000) that XP wouldn't run, but other than that it's been smooth sailing since I installed it.KP

HiIt's abit of a coincidence that i've just gone from Win98SE to XPpro.I thought that Win98 was quite stable also - with the help of a few utility programs like NOrton Systemworks, but now since i've gone onto the full version of XPpro, i'd DEFINETLY recommend it!XPpro has improved in many ways, especially stability. My FS works fine with XP. I use to have problems with my Saitek X36 joystick, using Saitek's drivers and others, but since using XP and XP drivers for the device everything is how it was back in the old days of FS2000 ie. working properly.With XP, I haven't noticed any problems related to graphics or decreases in FPS FS.Updating your OS to XPpro WILL improve the running of your PC overall. I remember the times when eg. i installed an incorrect driver for Win98SE and then the whole computer just crashed out, and i had to format to start from fresh again. With XP, if it doesn't like the drivers you've just installed ie conflicting, then it will disable them, and still leave your PC functioning as it was before.You might have had experience with Win98SE having an unexpected reboot or crash, where you could loose a few files or clusters and then dodge up your pc, well.... not any more, XP searches for lost information/files, guarenteeing that your PC will never loose any files.IN SHORT: XPpro, A LOT more stable than Win98SE.There problerly many other advantages with XPpro that I haven't talked about, but i've only been using it for about a month now.I've had NO problems with XP yet. I had to get my hands on a few driver updates to make my hardware work as it was before (via Windows Update) with 98, but for now, the best OS i've seen!Don't bother with Win2000/ME because it's an earlier/basic version of XP i've heard. XP was then released to fix things in 2000/ME that were having a problems etc.Hope this helpsWill P.S. I can't really state on Roger Wilco, Squawkbox etc, because i haven't tried them out on XPpro yet, I would expect them to run like a charm, just like everything else.

Guest Louis

so might as well go all the way.. thanks again Louis--- cyyc

Guest flightpro08

Diffenitly go with Windows XP. I also upgraded from Windows ME about 8 months ago, and neither one of the systems I have had XP on has ever lock-uped of crashed. Grandit, FS2k2 has crashed a couple of times, but that's because I my contant changing of video card drivers. ;-)Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Senior Controller (C-3)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com|Taxiwaysigns.com] Scenery Designer-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 41.03 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298-----------------------------Click [link:ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=&Author=Ryan+Fretwell&CatID=Root]Here to Download my New American Eagle POSKY CRJ-200!