Sign in to follow this  
BobK

What are these Boeing numbers???

My wife flew on a new Qantas Boeing 737-800 yesterday - Sydney to Brisbane. Normally they use a 737-400 for this run so I thought I would have a look at the Qantas website to see just what their fleet is these days .BUT -- this is what they have under "aircraft" all Boeings 737-376,476,838747-238,338,438 767-238,338ThanksBarry

If it was a British Airways plane, say a 747-400 then that would be a 747-436. The "36" in 436 basically means that British Airways is customer Number 36 in Boeings books so all BA Boeing A/C will have the 36 identifier.If anyone can add to this please do! I may be wrong here :-)Bill

Yes thats right.Its a customer number and you can also find out a history of a plane by that number so that if BA for example got rid of a 747 and Air New Zealand had it..then if you flew on it with Air New Zealand then you would know it was originally if you looked it up that is that it was a BA plane.Virgin have a few planes like that in their fleet. I went on a 747 that was originally for Alitalia so still has its customer number for Alitalia.Craig Kiltie