Sign in to follow this  
Guest iholrf

Self moderated forum?

Was reading some of the posts below about forums and the posting with in them and had an idea. Is it possible and/or feasable to have a self moderated forum? For example: Could a forum be setup to allow people to vote on a specific post or post reply they don't like for deletion? Say someone calls someone else a '@#$%'. If that posts gets, for example, 10 votes to delete it the post automatically is deleted.Has something of this nature been tried or thought of before?-=MAB=-

Guest iholrf

>lol....I guess not...>>Yeah...23 views....the post above has several hundred.>>-=MAB=->>P.S. Going back into my corner now....The common man has proven time and again he is incapable of remaining impartial or fair in a group invironment. All it takes is one or two to gang up (as you see happen a lot at flightsim.com) and soon anarchy rules.... now you want to give them the power to censor people?No thanks. I like it the way it is. I prefer a well behaved forum rather than a heavily moderated one. Well behaved means forgiving the occasional rant and recognizing that nobody and nothing is one dimensional.CheersShad

Guest Slacktide

>The common man has proven time and again he is incapable of>remaining impartial or fair in a group invironment. All it>takes is one or two to gang up (as you see happen a lot at>flightsim.com) and soon anarchy rules.... now you want to give>them the power to censor people?The solution to this is meta-moderation, or moderating the moderators. On a random basis, a few people a day get a chance to rate whether a particular act of moderation was fair or unfair. Users who consistiently moderate unfairly have their moderation permission revoked. It's worked for years on a site with around 50 times the registered users as Avsim... www.slashdot.orgThe nice part is, the moderation does NOT delete posts. It merely ranks them lower, so that you can choose to read at the lowest level (-1) and see all the cranks, whiners, and axe-grinders, or read at the highest level (+5) and only a few very saintly posts, or read somewhere in-between. +2 works for me.Check the FAQ at http://slashdot.org/faq/ , in particular the section "How did the moderation system develop?" for a better explanation.

Guest iholrf

If this place gets even the slightest bit like Slashdot, I for one will be gone in a second.CheersShad