Sign in to follow this  

Want some challenging weather?

London City was interesting about 2 weeks ago-very windy then and the evening business flights were all 'having a go' at an approach before 'going missed' and into the Alkin hold. Every now and then they would ask 'Has anybody got in yet?' and Thames Radar would say something like 'The larger aircraft seem to be getting in' or 'There's a flight making an approach now' so someone else would ask to come out of the hold and try. The Dash-8's and the like in the hold were being blown too close to the approach anyway so Thames had to slightly change the hold!. City has a 5 degree ILS and high buildings to contend with.DaveT

I live 18nm directly to the east of Heathrow and right on the flight path. From my balconly I was looking at the planes struggling to cope with the conditions. Wing up, wing down the whole way in. It spurred me to go down there and check out the landings so I did. The spectators galery was closed due to the adverse conditions, so after 2 minutes of driving around I found a carpark right next to 27R-09L and watched them take off and even a few came in to land on 27R which is not the norm. A Finnair Airbus A320 had a particularly interseting landing by managing to stay only on its left side wheels for about half the runway with reverse thrust blazing away!Cheers,MothEGLL

Moth,does that happen to be the Hertz car park which is near the threshold of 09L?I've also seen them taking off from 27R from there (on a noram day though) and it was pretty imprssive to see a 747 rotate about 50 meters away from you

Seba,It has to be by the sounds of it. It's the huge car park right on the runway. You have the Renaissance Hotel behind you. If it's not, then it's the next car park along that A4 straight. The car park that I was in had different sections marked by colours i.e. orange section, green section, pink section.I drove the whole way up the length of the car park to the chicken wire to watch. I wasn't by the threshold of 09L (as I didn't drive to the right upon entering the car park but left...) so I was about 500m up from the threshold of 27R. However, you can choose your spot depending on which plane is your favourite so you can be right by rotation points. As you say it's about 50m from the runway and it's really something to be that close, especially to rumble sensations of the heavies :) I was also fortunate enough to witness a double F15 landing up at RAF Lakenheath. Again, you stand on the flight path as they come in due to the Swaffham road configuration (see the red road to the right of the map). They approach through the clearing in the forest and they come straight at you. As they pass over they are about 100 foot directly above you. I nearly shook to death as they came in and you must protect your ears with your hands. There is a serious high pitch whine that accompanies them.Worth checking out on a sunny day if you take a trip to Norfolk!Cheers,MothEGLLhttp://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?X=5...&up.x=22&up.y=6

My best spot is near the Long Term car park close to the threshold of 27R. If you follow the signs for long term parking, then pull off anywhere around the small white huts (which is grandly called the Eastern Business area or something) - it's the Eastern Perimeter Road. Best on the weekend, because the businesses aren't so busy - and I've never been bothered by the police or airport security there. If 27L is in use - then you have to come off the A30 at the Hatton Cross crossroads. Turn right at the lights, then right again. Try not to annoy local residents, but I've been able to park in Myrtle Ave and then there's a green at the end of the dead end road, and you get good views of 27L landings. Unfortunately, if the Easterly runways are in use, I've yet to find a good spot.Gatwick is also tricky - best if 08R is in use - avoid the perimeter road, cos there's double yellows and I've been warned by Police there before. Best to go through Charlwood village, then take the Ifield Road - and pull in when you see the last of the approach lights. If 26L is in use - then it's best to take the B2036 from Horley or Crawley Down - and pull into an unclassified road with some cottages on one side under the final approach path.Gosh, I wish I hadn't started thinking about this!http://www.btinternet.com/~rob.corp/images/sig.jpg

Rob,Many thanks for this information. As the observation deck was closed and the majority of landings were actually on 27L where you get the best view, I wish that I had this 'extra' knowledge on Sunday. It would have made things alot more interesting to say the least! Oh well, at least I know for next time!Cheers :-beerchugMothEGLL

>I live 18nm directly to the east of Heathrow and right on >the flight path.>Moth >EGLL I grew up in Fulham - right underneath the approach into 27L :-)Now I live under the approach into runway 10 at Manston, so I only see freighters such as the DC-8, 747 or the occasional IL-76.

"Want some challenging weather?"NO thanks I've just been through this........Storms are a serious business 'real life'... but I couldn't resist this one.....Cheers//Tonni :-)

Nick,I see the CP-1 plotter at work there :-lol. Spot on! I don't know if you saw the Jubilee celebrations this year, but I had an excellent view of Concorde flanked by the red arrows, then the Hercules, then the C-17 etc. The Mall is on 27L's path so they came right over the top a minute later...Kiwi - what weather system are you using for your simming. I have MSFS 2002....Cheers, MothEGLL

"Kiwi - what weather system are you using for your simming. I have MSFS 2002...."I'm using basic Fs2002 weather....That shot is my personal Fs2002 Baron panel superimposed over a photo of a real world Tornado...YEAH I KNOW!!...... CHEATING!!!....... But It looks pretty cool aye???Cheers//Tonni