Sign in to follow this  

Mach speed limit of sim?

Guest xoio

Is there anyway to overide what seems to be a speed limit in FS2K2?Whilst experimenting with some Air & config files for a Hypersonic craft I am working on, I seem to hit an absolute limit of:Mach 4.65 (2666kts Ground speed)It's proving to be a bit of a pain in the #####!... I've noticed though that giving an engine an unrealistic thrust (In the Millions of pounds) does seem to break through this 'barrier', but of course makes for completely uncontrollable flight.Any ideas on how to 'switch off' this floor in the sim.RegardsAlP.S. I DO NOT want to specify the engine type as 'rocket' either as a fix.

Guest xoio

*LOL*What is this??? Are all the replies I'm gonna get going to be from myself, giving it 'bumps' to keep the message in view???cheesh:()

AlDid you try the MSFS Aircraft and Panel Design Forum?Sorry, I really hate these "your in the wrong forum" replies but, it's a good question and I'd like to hear the answer myself.Danny

Guest SlimDady

I believe this would be similar in real life..There would be a speed at which you could no longer overcome the air resiastance on the body of the plane. Almost like terminal velocity but horizontal..Thats my best guess..But im sure its just some limitation of the engine that was bever discovered

I think there's a point when the autopilot can't handle the airplane. I believe it's in the Mach 2.6 range. The SR-71s out there are a good example of this. Typically, you can't go much above 46,000 feet without the airplane developing a mind of it's own. You run into stability problems. If you can make it fly well at lower levels, it will be terrible at upper levels and vice-versa. To the best of my knowledge, I just don't think Flightsim was designed to go that fast. BTW Slimdady, nice pic.