Sign in to follow this  
Guest Daniel Pimentel

CFS3 vs. CFS2 vs. IL-2

Guest joea

I never got CFS2, maybe someday but am more into the war in Europe, at least the air aspect (am interested in the Asian-Pacific theatre just not as much) the only reason I'd get it was for the carriers though frankly would prefer flying a Swordfish against the Bismarck or U-boats. Anyway, my 2 questions:1)Compare Il-2 to CFS3 any first impressions?2)What about the possibilty of adding carriers and maritime missions (Battle of the Atlantic)to CFS3?Thanks

Aside from FS2k2, I was a big fan of EAW and CFS2. CFS2 with the new pactex terrain and various other addons is a great sim unless you're really hardcore. Beautiful to look at and flight models are OK. Not great, but acceptable for the light simmers. I just loaded up IL2 yesterday and am most impressed. Kinda like EAW only modern with exceptional flight models. REally exceptional flight models and great graphics for a fighting sim. I'm running everything maxed out in OpenGL and she's really pretty. And runs perfect, so far. Forgotten Battles is soon to follow from what I understand and I plan on getting that one right away. I was really surprised that a small company like this Oleg's Guy owns could do such a fantastic job. There is nothing like it available. If you don't have IL2, and want a very good fighting sim, GET IT.Now, I had high hopes for CFS3; but from everything I've read; it looks like my copy will stay on the shelf. At least until they patch it and I get raving reviews by the users.

Guest Twister

Hi,From what I saw in the screenshots, I find the Virtual Cockpits in CFS3 extremely ugly with coarse textures.The VC's quality are a far cry from the astonishing cockpits produced for the leading payware add-ons (FSD Commander, Siai-Marchetti 260, soon-to-be-released Captain Sim Boeing 727, Dreamfleet Archer, etc...)The VC's are no better than the default ones in FS2K2 (maybe even worse).Can it be compared to the IL-2 Sturmovik...? not a chance...TwisterP.S. I'll pass on this one...better keep the money for the promising new add-ons for FS2K2

Guest joea

I guess I'll get IL2 and maybe pick up a copy of CFS2 cheap somewhere.

heh, you waited for 2 opinions, and both those opinions were posted by people who hadn't played the game!when the game came out it was getting mercilessly pounded on message boards. the past couple of days, opinion has been turning, and the promise of mods and add-ons to sort out certain problems (there have already been some alternative flight models) have really started to make it look like a decent option.IL-2 is for the realism freaks, CFS3 looks like it'll be one for those who want a little fun, a full campaign, and many mods / add-ons.

Guest emergency_pants

I'm not so sure IL2 is just for the 'realism-ites' (excuse the made-up word :)) I found IL2 to be quite dull first time 'round. I had it installed for a while but never got into it much. It was too realistic and not enough hard playing. The initial campaign missions were as empty as hell too, so I never gave it a chance to really get going.However, I recently re-installed it and have been having great fun flying the campaign games and some great dogfighting action in the single missions. Especially with the patches installed... it makes a real difference. It's possible to turn most realism aspects OFF if you like, which is great for easy acrobatics and jaw-dropping maneuvers. So I can't agree with you, although I will agree that the level of realism was certainly targeted at that audience.I can recommend IL2 strongly because it has a good level of customisation in terms of difficulty and realism. I can also recommend it because it makes a change to fly in such a different arena. Pacific and BoB... yawn. Heheheh.As for CF3 and CF2... I wouldn't comment 'cos I ain played them. Which probably doesn't answer your initial question... which makes this post a bit useless!! LOL... I'll get my coat!!Cheers,Simon.

Simon, if we all only did what was useful, we wouldn't flight-simming here in the first place! lolAll from me Georgethetee

It's really hard to compare IL2 and CFS3. Even matching CFS2 to CFS3 is difficult, because the engine that drives each is so very different. I was a little disappointed at first in CFS3, but I was determined to give it a go and see what developed. After tweaking around with the video settings and my drivers for about 5 hours Friday night, I finally got it to settle down and fly right. I have to say, there's a lot to like about CFS3! And the things that are amiss, such as the textures in the VCs, stuttering, etc. are mostly fixable. In fact, there have already been some early stabs at better air files posted. I think IL2 is a fantastic sim, but it bears mentioning that it's undergone a tremendous amount of revision by the developers in the last year. Out of the box, it was nowhere near as satisfying to fly as it is now. I still think the flight models are better in IL2, but all that means is that I find them more challenging... I've got no way of knowing what's "real" or not since I never flew any of those machines in real life. However, the planes in CFS3 are a little more friendly to just get into and fly. That doesn't mean that they're a walk in the park, though! I've locked several of them in a flat spin and bit the dust already, so complaints of "arcadeish" flight models are probably a little over the top.I like the scenery better in IL2. To my eye, it's a bit more realistic looking. However, I've flown in CFS3 for a couple of days now, and I'm starting to buy into their world visually too. The clouds in CFS3 are fantastic; far and away the best I've seen, IL2 included. The aircraft models (exteriors) are very, very nice in CFS3. I always thought they were a bit simplistic looking in IL2. In my limited experience in CFS3, the thing that really shines about it is the campaign generator and the high level of immersion. They focused a lot on the group (squadron) dynamics, and have found a number of ways to draw the pilot into the greater war as a whole. That's something that's sorely lacking in IL2, but maybe will be addressed in the Forgotten Battles expansion. All in all, I'm not sorry I got CFS3. And I can't wait for the add-on developers to start cranking out tweaks, fixes and new aircraft. I'm also fairly sure MS themselves will put out at least one patch for it, as there are enough issues to warrant one. I'm also definitely getting Forgotten Battles when it is released. It's a great time to be a combat simmer!

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Bill, have you had any troubles with saving your campaign progress? I cant get mine saved at all. Even the autosave doesnt work.

I have played IL-2 and CFS2 and no bones about it IL-2 is by far a better game/simulation. I like realisim and IL-2 provides that, not to mention the flight physics are amazing as well as the gunnery. With IL-2 you get great and realistic flight models with amazingly accurate cockpits, air to air, air to ground large raids and a very versatile simulation that can be made easy as mentioned above by simplifying the physics. You can create you own missons with ease and multi-player is great with AA guns and ships abound. Anyone that wants an amazing air combat game IL-2 is the only one I would suggest.Anyone here that has played CFS3 please post if you think it is better than IL-2 becasue if so I will pick it up. If it is a suped up version of CFS2 I will pass.

Guest Daniel Pimentel

Guys...It doesn't fir into my limited mind how somebody can compare 2 sims without having played. :-lol I have all 3 sims mentioned above. And CFS3 beats the **** out of the others. Why? Well... Better explosions and effects, more realistic sky, good visual models with crisp VC's (I dunno why you people b**** about VC's, they look sharp as knife to me) And challenging dynamics. The sim is excellent. I recommend it to any1 who wants a sim for battle. I am running:P4 2.531GB RAMGeForce 4 Ti4600 128MB80GB HD.Settings on CFS3:All maxed, max antialiasing, 1600 screen res.The sim runs like a charm. Stutters once of twice at first, then smooth as silk. I say, don't miss out. I think this sim will be the pinnacle of WW2 sims until its next version. Only LoMac seems to be closing into it. :)Cheers,http://www.simubuild.com/gfx/banner/SBB_Pimentel.jpgAA RULES!!! :)Download my semi-photoreal AA 757!:http://ftp.avsim.com/library/sendfile.php?DownloadID=16882Aerolineas Argentinas A330-200 NOW AVAILABLE!!http://www.thevivcorp.com/~fyarepaints/MyR.../posky332ar.zipChrome AA 767 NOW AVAILABLE!!http://www.thevivcorp.com/~fyarepaints/MyR...osky767aaV1.zipDominicana de Aviacion 727-53C NOW AVAILABLE!!http://www.thevivcorp.com/~fyarepaints/MyRepaints/dom722.zip______________________________"Whenever you find yourself in the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect" - Mark Twain

I haven't played the campaigns much, and I sucked so bad at the first few missions that I chose not to save them. I'll try flying a few and saving tonight and let you know how it goes.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Thanks Bill... Nobody seems to be responding to my posts regarding this issue... all I need to know is if saving the campaigns work for others or not.