Sign in to follow this  

hallelujah!!!!!.....................

Guest Coneman

Whew! I was beginning to think I was the only one who felt this way. I've curtailed a lot of my posting because of a general lack of courtesy. Not that I'm Mr.Perfection, but it just seems the language and maturity factor have gone downhill. Todd

Sure....but to play a game...it's ridiculous. Have a little foresight here, if CFS3 recommended spec is 1.4, reality is 2.0. So when FS2004 is available what will then be minimum spec then ? So for some, if you realy want to play it, it can becaome a very expensive excercise. Others that dont use direct-X technology will run happily on half Microsofts minimums....see my point ?How deep in bed are Microsoft with Intel ?George

I've also noticed the shift in maturity levels in the FS community :(I'm happy to see the younger FS users participating in this hobby: Just look at the B-52 created over the past year ... by a 14 year old! Some of their inputs are very commendable, but there are some who do nothing but destructive actions, and make their immaturity plain for all to see :(. They demand things, attack freeware authors, and use this community as a vent for their angst and real life troubles: We all have difficulties in this life, and there is NO excuse to take out your unhappiness on the people within the FS community :(I would recommend the following to all FS freeware creators, who are unhappy with the comments they receive via email: don't give out your email address to anyone, continue creating things for your own pleasure, and rely on a trusted group of people for constructive feedback :)Let's get back to flight simulation, not teenage angst issues :-lol

Guest cornclose

George,I know all too well some of the companies (and individual) you are refering to ( I think! ).As far as unfair demands on freeware authors are concerned, I have experienced it first hand, this is why I now have the (justified) attitude that I have, and by no means is this an 'attitude problem' as some of those making those unfair demands may try to suggest.As for X-Plane, it's my favourite sim at the moment, and I have them all. I just keep going back to X-Plane.Chris Ehttp://www.circle-software.co.ukhttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

It's more likely your a simmer and the morons are essentially gamers or gammers as one pointed out. (That dosnt mean gamers are all morons)Sure not all 15 yr teenies are idiots, a pal of mine has 2 of the blighters, one is sensible, caring and understanding, the other...I cant say the words here !Theres good and bad in all ages, creed, sexes, at the moment I think were hit with the bad. Why ? The number of flightsim related warez sites that keep popping up increase every week. I cant see a hardcore hacker getting involved in FS related stuff can you ?CheersGeorge

Having read this thread, I never cease to wonder at the views of those who use this "Flight Simulator" and persist in viewing it as a game/toy. Let's face it, you want a game, go out and get SimCity2000, should go well with your machine. In fact it will probably just zoom along.However if you want the current level of clouds, FSAA, AutoGen, Terrain Mesh, reflective water textures, waves on the beach, aircraft fuse's that reflect terrain and clouds, ATC and all the myriad of other enhancements that the current version of MSFS has, get a machine that will run it. On the other hand, move all the sliders to the left and you will probably be OK.My current machine is my 5th specifically set up for MSFS, the first being a PC XT 4.77 Mhz with dual floppies and no hard drive and I used the original MSFS on it around 1985 (I think). It was amazing for the time. But it was what was required to run that version. I paid AU$4,000 for it only marginally more than my current one (see specs below).In short, that is the price of entry to use this sim to it's full potential. If you can't use 2K2 on your current machine go and find a copy of MSFS95. I am sure it will work really well on it, but don't whinge if the tools don't fit the job.As far as your lament about the change to more payware in the hobby, IMO it's a natural progression that some folks want to recoup the costs of developing what today hugely complex and is often (not always) a product with higher fidelity than freeware. Having been closely involved in the final stages of the development of a product that has won wide critical acclaim and seen the effort gone in to produce it, I would never begrudge the FSD guys one cent of the returns they recieve. Would you expect Hornby, Lima and Bachmann to give away rolling stock for the model railway hobby?The simple solution to this is don't buy it. No one is twisting your arm to go out and spend your hard earned cash. Stick with freeware. It will never go away.For what it's worth,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern Australiahttp://members.iinet.net.au/~portercb/flyp...ta_tester_3.jpg[h3] FSD Aircraft "Around the world" flight.Now at OPQT (Samungli) Pakistan[/h3]Intel Pentium IV 2.26GHz(533)512K L2 Cache NorthwoodIntel D850EMV2-LAN P4 (533MHz FSB)Kingston/Samsung 256MB PC-800 RAMBUS, x 2 (512Mb)MSI-8872 GeForce4 Titanium 4600 128MB DDRHyundai -ImageQuest P910+, 19" Multi-Scan Digital MonitorIBM Deskstar 60GXP, 60GB HDD IDEHercules Game Theater XP, 6.1 speakers Dolby

Guest Timbo

It seems the English language as a whole is breaking down lately. I've seen more posts with "hey so where did u get dat kewl airplane can. can u give me the link? thx!" than I'd like to see. The forums are supposed to be a group of people discussing their hobby but its turned into decoding fragments of English.[TABLE BORDER=0][tr][td]

[/td][/tr][tr]

[td]

[link:www.fsworldonline.com/~timsfsstudio]Click here to visit Tim's FS Studio!] Updated August 31st!

[/td][/tr][/TABLE

Guest AV8RFOOL

I agre wit u cumpeletle. :-blaJeff

It's the language British teenagers use to text message (ie SMS) each other on their mobiles (cells). It's a fact of life, I just hope they remember what proper English is.I got into this hobby when I was 24. Didn't seem young or old at the time - just found a sim I liked and discovered there was this massive worldwide community behind it as well. I guess the 14 year olds will grow up and enjoy it for the same reasons as we do.Rob

Guest ozhero

Chris,Well said mate !!I couldn't agree more.

Guest emergency_pants

Listen to yourselves!!!!! You sound like a bunch of grumpy old men! Cheer up, for God's sake!!!I'm sorry if you found that rude, but if you can't tolerate new generations joining the hobby and getting involved, then maybe the negative comments you so hastily aim at the younger generation could be better put to use by being squarely aimed at yourselves. Take a long look in the mirror. It is intolerant, conceited and, lets face it, RUDE SWEEPING COMMENTS like that, that makes other generations want to lash out in the first place.It is the air of self-importance, superiority and conceit that really gets me irritated sometimes.I'm not a teenager, in fact, I'm no longer in my twenties anymore... and I'm certainly mature enough to realise that young people talk differently and see things differently to me, in many respects. But I would never poo-poo someone's intelligence, maturity and opinions, regardless of their age. Except, maybe the older generation! (heehee)For one thing, "they" don't talk across people's faces in such a way. How rude is that? Where did you learn YOUR manners from! Hypocrites!!!You know, it isn't always the younger members of the community that WANT everything for nothing and take more than they give. In fact, it is often quite the opposite; it is often the older members that think they DESERVE better treatment and/or respect because they feel they have more experience. I have to say to my younger friends that you, in fact, realise that when you take, you also have to give in return. That, my friends, is a fundamental principle in our societies that you have grasped better than any other. Throughout a difficult modern history, it is the younger generation that has sacrificed the most. I think you have taught us more than we think. You should demand more respect from these people.Isn't it really (honestly) true that the younger generation ALREADY enjoy Flight Simming for the same reasons YOU do? What makes one generation's motivation to pretend to fly different from another's? It's like you're turning 'round to someone and saying "Don't worry kid, I know you're immature and you do things for all the wrong reasons, but you'll come around one day... one day you'll understand... one day you'll grow into it a bit better." Outrageous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!And now *I* will stop being rude to *YOU* now that I have that off my chest.As for the freeware vs. payware argument, if someone feels that they might need to make some money from their work, then I think they have every right! What makes someone else qualified to make that decision for them!!!! Or even attempt to criticize them for it!!?? If you don't want to pay for it, then don't buy it!! To some extent, free market forces will win out and when an item for sale makes NO money, they'll realise that it wasn't up to scratch.The freeware developers that remain, as far as I can see, do it as a committed hobby for themselves... on a secondary level, they choose to share their stuff because they're proud of their work, want to share it, like the praise (lets be honest, ok?). If they didn't share it, it would just sit there doing nothing! It makes sense top share it and see it being downloaded and used by grateful punters like myself! And I think at the top of the list of reasons to share, is a genuine DESIRE to enhance the FS community by making a contribution and a feeling of wanting to make that kind gesture.But who am I to knock a person if they don't feel they get the satisfaction back that they feel they require to keep them motivated?*Phew*Bring it on....Simon.Edit: I'm sorry for the rant... I probably should just edit it away, if I were sensible. I just wanted to get stuff off my chest on the forum. It wasn't particularly aimed at anyone, so please don't take any of it as a personal attack or 'flame'. Feel free to have a go back though. :D I just get a bit hacked-off by the the superior attitudes sometimes. Cheers.

Simon, Sorry I must disagree. I dont see the self-importance, superiority and conceit as you say. I think in all walks of life most realise the youth of today are tomorrows future,in many respects this is also true in this forum / hobby. I would suggest perhaps reading the thread once again, as with so many, it goes off on different tangents. Maybe this is the "talk across people's faces" you refer to ? There again perhaps as one of the grumpy old men, I dont quite understand where your coming from with this statement.The other statement I find quite laughable in a pleasent way, is the one beginning "Isn't it really (honestly)" Am I to be penalised for experience ? To coin the phrase, I was once young myself and yes by comparison to now, I was immature (probably still am in some things), this is a fact of life Simon even for you and our current younger pals. We learn I believe with age.By the same fact, I think you will find the grumpy old men would be more than happy to help our younger friends providing we are asked in a language we old folk understand M8. Groovy George

Guest emergency_pants

Points taken :)Simon.