Sign in to follow this  
Guest jase439

OT- Delta Airlines Scam?

This is about flying but is a little overtime. I need to know if I'm right about this or not. Last week I purchased a round trip weekend fare ticket from DFW-ATL for yesterday. Delta charged me $158, great price. Ok so yesterday morning Delta cancels my flight. They booked me on an earlier flight yesterday due to the cancellation. But Delta failed to notify me of the cancellation either by phone (they do have my correct home and cell phone numbers on file) or Email. Because I wasn't notified that I was changed to an earlier flight, I missed it. Delta then tells me that since I was a no show I have lost my $158 and my ticket is worthless. I called again today and asked a supervisor if I could get a refund or at least use the ticket for future travel and I was told no that I was a no show. This does not sound fair to me at all. What type of a scam is Delta running? What's to stop them from taking money for a whole plane load of people, cancelling the flight, and telling 260 people they are out of luck?I will call my credit card bank in the morning and dispute the charge. Now please tell me if I'm wrong in this matter. The more I think about it the madder I get. I'm just asking for some opinions from the forum on this. Delta Airlines has lost a long time customer over this. Not to mention my friends and family that I will mention this to. Thanks for listening, Bob

Guest jase439

Sorry to hear about your frustrating experience with Delta. I would try to get in touch with a different supervisor (or maybe a third one, if the next one fails you!) People are as accomodating as they choose to be. There are some supervisors (albeit few) who exist that will still practice the lost art of "the customer is always right" and would rather give you the benefit of the doubt so that the airline doesn't lose thousands of dollars of revenue from you over your lifetime (not to mention all the people you tell, "don't fly Delta - here's what happened to me!"). It's just a matter of shaking the right apple from the tree. Most these guys are underpaid schmoes who have no business in customer service - you need to ignore the chaff and not waste your energy in convincing them. If it sounds like you're going to have to argue your point - don't...hang up, call back...talk to another supervisor ;-) Often, I have found it simply pays to be persistently annoying to the point that they would rather cough up what is owed you rather than waste additional time in discussing it with you.Document each time you call. As a last resort, call the credit card company. They almost always find in favor of the customer (after all it is the customer that makes them rich ;-) You will need ample documentation (with the names of individuals you spoke to) that you tried to resolve the matter through normal channels.J

Some airlines request that passengers call to confirm the flights at least 12-24 hours prior to departure. Failure to do so and if the flight is cancelled, the airlines are under no obligation to refund your money. I believe this was the policy in the past; I don't know if it has changed. I usually call to confirm myself.Brent Hebert

Thanks for the reply. I actually checked the website about 3 hours prior to leaving for the airport. I also called Delta the night before, approx. 7hrs before flight time, and both times was told the flight was on time and leaving from gate 33 at DFW. So I really don't feel that this is my fault.

Jase439, Thanks for your reply. I called Delta again and this time I got a very nice supervisor by the name of Lori. She apologized for the whole mix up and refunded the price of my ticket. She assured me this was not normal business practices for Delta. And I told her I know it's not since I normally fly Delta. Thanks again. Bob

Guest jase439

Good show! Whoever you spoke with the first time around likely wears underwear 2 sizes too small, earns $8/HR, and is abused by his wife and dog (and not necessarily in that order). Some people like to "quote the book at you" simply because they can - it's their only consolation in life.Glad you got that mess sorted out.J