Sign in to follow this  

Stratus / T-Storm Clouds in FS Meteo?

Guest jase439

Has anyone ever had FS Meteo generate anything OTHER than Cumulus layers? I can't recall ever seeing a stratus or t-storm cloud layer created by FS Meteo. I've had FSUIPC generate random rain and lightning "on the fly" in addition adding a cirrus layer on occassion - but never have I seen FS Meteo choose a stratus layer over a cumulus one.What does ActiveSky do here?J

Guest HeavyFan

Hmm I was wondering the same thing!! I never see with my FS METEO, i never saw several diffrent cloud layers or thunderstorms!!?? I try to go to places that have bad weather, and i never see cloud layers or a thuderstorm so far?? What give's? Seems like FS METEO is lacking in something?? very strange is that all i get is scattered clouds and overcasts since i got the Updated FS MEteo version! i will try out the weather in KATL and see what FS MEteo gives me, as it seems it's pretty stormy over there! MIKE

Guest jase439

METAR information contains no data on actual cloud types - only coverage. Although, according to an e-mail I received from Mark, FSMeteo should set a stratus layer for upper level clouds - but I have yet to see that happen. Cumulus every time as far as I can tell. If I want thunderstorms or stratus formations, I must manually set the cloud type(s) from FS's weather dialog.J

If there are thunderstorms, FSMeteo will generate appropriate thunderstorm clouds. I've used FSWSe and installed the killer coloured set and when I flew into an area with thunder stroms, those clouds were generated.

Your in the minority then. I agree with the 1st two gentlemen, I never get thunderstorm data in FSMeteo either.

Mack,Same here. I was flying over Norway on Sunday GMT with current metar (offline mode) that was clearly influenced by the storm-force winds that we has here in the UK, and I was getting big stretches of thunderstorm-like clouds. Will post some pics when I get home tonight !

I also think thunderstorms are generated,but yet have to see some cirrus layers on those nice summer days

Guest freequest

i have had thunder stomes... quite a few the trik is the let FSUIPC handle the thunder storme generationlol

Guest jase439

FSMeteo won't generate Cirrus either. There's an option in FSUIPC's cloud page which allows random generation of a cirrus layer "when appropriate". As far as I'm aware, this is the only way to get these. I'm wondering if the t-storm layers are created by FS Meteo or by FSUIPC's random storm generator?J

Guest KenG

FSMeteo works with METARs and winds aloft data. The only cloud type that I am aware is characterized by METARs is cumulonimbus (CB). If the METAR has a remark about CBs, then I would assume FS2002 (and therefore FSSW) should display thunderstorm clouds (since they are CBs...usually). Stratus clouds, alto-stratus, lenticular clouds and all the rest are not mentioned in the METARs so I doubt there would be an easy way to incorporate them into FS2002 via FSMeteo.

Guest jase439

According to Marc, there is such logic (most of it being altitude based) - I just haven't seen it. I'll have to drop in FSSW's colored storm set and then drop in a METAR with a CB code in the remarks and see what happens. Should be pretty clear to see if storm clouds are in fact created.

Guest HeavyFan

hmm needs a BUMP, So it seems to me that FS METEO is not all that!! If the METAR stations that FS METEO gets it's info from, that the Metar only gives out some Thuderstorms info, and a few scattered CumUlus clouds,(Don't know if thats the correct type?) And the METAR does not give out any info than that is not good!! I know it gives out high level Wind info, and Overcast clouds, which i see alot, but no cloud Layers etc..........? Don't get me wrong I LOVE FS MEteo!, But with this info you guy's are saying that it has very Limited Weather Info from the METAR Stations, I might want to try out the new Freeware weather makers that some guy's came out recently with? IF they have better info gathering information? does anyone know if they do?? Or can someone clarify what the METAR stations info it actually sends to FS METEO, not just 1-2 types of clouds and Winds?? Thank's for all this new info guy's! MIKE-:)

Guest DNelson

I don't use FS METEO but I can say from a real world standpoint that METARs generally won't report multiple cloud layers. I believe the standard is that the report stops at the lowest observed ceiling (broken or overcast). There may be other layers above that lowest overcast layer, but they won't show up in the METAR report.Dan

I have the generator switched off. Every time the weather display plug-in indicated "THUNDER STORMS" thunder clouds get generated. I'll try to take a screenshot next time I fly into them.