Sign in to follow this  

The un-ending madness of MS Windows and FS.....

So I went down to my local CompUSA to buy this MS joystick, Sidewinder Precision 2. I'd tried it and loved it. I got it in five minutes. I came home. I loaded the software. It wasn't recognized on my trusty old P3. I'd checked with CompUSA about the version of Windows because it said on the MS box "for Windows 98SE and above". I only ever had Windows 98, plain vanilla, never upgraded. They said, if you've been updating your PC with Direct X and IE, etc., this stick will work OK.I installed the software 3 times and somehow, finally, on the 3rd attempt, it worked and Windows was able to build a driver dBase and instal it. It was visible and compatible and operable. The stick worked great for about a week.On the weekend, this device "vanished" from Game Controllers in Windows. I'd seen this before and I knew immediately what this meant -- this was yet again The Road to Madness I know so well from so many instals of software and hardware for FS since 1997. I'd gone crazy with CH hardware and software in 2000 and 2001 and swore: never again, for anything in FS or Windows.I made three valiant attempts to reinstal the drivers, but no joy; and no stick ! Finally, I said, the heck with it, where's my old joystick?I found my 3 year old MS Sidewinder Precision Pro and its CD-ROM and installed it easily. Ancient software but it "took" right away. It works. It's compatible. It's a keeper. What an irony!Lucky I have 5 years of PC "engineering experience" with FS by now. I could've ended up in the loony bin. But I knew better than that.The secret is simple: if it works, keep it; if not, don't! I removed the CH hardware recently because although it worked instantly with the newer P4 PC, I still got the same left hardover rudder for no apparent reason. I wasted no time looking for a fix because there is none for that stuff (for me, at least.). I took out the FFB2 stick instead and...that's a keeper too on the P4 now.It feels good to have developed wisdom with FS and Windows. Life is good!JS

Guest groundpounder75

Sounds like it may be time to updgrade to say XP? Windows 98 may work but so does XP and it is so much nicer. Then you could enjoy that Sidewinder Precision 2 instead of settling for the old familiar joystick.

Guest RobK

I would say upgrade to XP! I love it! Installing hardware with XP is a breeze. Just plug it in, that's it! I have a printer, scanner, joystick, yoke and rudder pedals (all usb) plugged into my WinXP PC. With all five of those devices all I had to do was plug them into the usb port and WinXP recognized them instantly. I didn't have to install any drivers or do anything else. Just plugged them in. No hassles what so ever.Rob

Indeed you two fellows are both correct. I HAVE Windows XP on the new P4. I do indeed love it as well. Now THIS makes sense !!JS

JSI also use the Precision2 joystick with Windows98SE. I have had the same problem occasionally, but was always able to correct it by just unplugging it from its USB port (4-port hub) and plugging it back in. I have no idea what causes the problem. It used to be fairly frequent, but it hasn't happened for about 6 months now. (Knock wood...)All the best,Bob

I have this problem with a Precision pro (4-axis,yep it's a bit older, still has a game port connector), had it on more than one version of Lose-dows (95, 98, XP). I tried a Game port card, a Soundblaster game port, an on-board port... different releases of drivers...Each time same problem. Joystick is "away" without warning after some time randomly. Sometimes isn't even noticed again.Finally, I got me a Logitech stick which works fine.TM

Let me join the "buy XP" chorus.Only a week ago I bought the USB CH Yoke and Pedals set. I don't know why but for probably the first time I RTFM :-).During install I had the CD handy to load the drivers up but 15secs after plugging my yoke and pedals into spare USB ports on a running machine, my computer abruptly told me the two devices were configured and ready to use. It was the most seamless hardware install ever for me, most impressive.Cheers,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern Australiahttp://members.iinet.net.au/~portercb/flyp...ta_tester_3.jpg[h3] FSD Aircraft "Around the world" flight.Now at OPQT (Qetta) Pakistan[/h3]Intel Pentium IV 2.26GHz(533)512K L2 Cache NorthwoodIntel D850EMV2-LAN P4 (533MHz FSB)Kingston/Samsung 256MB PC-800 RAMBUS, x 2 (512Mb)MSI-8872 GeForce4 Titanium 4600 128MB DDRHyundai -ImageQuest P910+, 19" Multi-Scan Digital MonitorHercules Game Theater XP, 6.1 speakers Dolby