Sign in to follow this  

Wake Turbulance and Exhaust Gases

If in FS2K2 the developers were able to create contrails on planes then it shouldn't be that much more involved to create wake and exhaust. By exhaust I mean the clear gases/heat you see behind jets and not the smoke that someone has already added effects for. I'm also not saying that creating wake is as simple as the effect of contrails but could not be that far from it in principle. I know that active sky is planning on releasing wake but I was just thinking that MS should also include it in the next release. With Active cam enabled you would really get a sense of wake if you got into it now.Kilstorm

I really know practically nothing about graphics/designing, but it seems to me if someone could create a localized negative LOD bias of, say, -3.0 to -4.0; and place this effect behind the engines, the desired shimmering/heat effect would be quite realistic. Just take look at the horizon with too much negative LOD dialed in. -Just a thoughtJohn M.

Guest KenG

Just to clarify, exhaust gases have nothing to do with wake turbulance. Wake turb comes from the wings, not the engines.

yeah I was just thinking of some stuff. Basically the idea of using the contrails and make the same thing but below the alt of when they show make the contrail clear or invisible but with serve turbulance and winds something like 100 with gust to 200 and spread it out to about a diameter of say 50 feet per engine and a lenth of about 1 mile for the big boys and less for the smaller ones. The wake doesn't have to come off of the wings tips for the sim but just present behind the plane and I noticed that the contrails were simular just add turbulance to them and drawn clear down low. The exhaust was an after thought.Kil~

If you're interested in combat sims, check out what MS has done in Combat Flight Simulator 3. I hope it's an indication of some of the effects that will be included in FS2004 (although that may or may not be the case). They've got some great jet exhaust effects, including one that really creates the look of the extreme heat coming out of the engine. In addition, they also are running only VCs (no 2d panels) and have managed to get them working very, very smoothly. No more jerky gauge movements! All in all, it bodes well for the next release of their civilian sim.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Hopefully within the next few editions of Flight Sim we will get one that the core of the sim is what we want. Then MS could start to make add-ons to add to it. Not having to release new versions but just add to it. We are almost there now if you think about it. It would be nice to have the ability to not have to start from scratch every two year just to get some better effects. If they could write a FS designed for expansion. How nice would it be to be able to buy an ATC upgrade, weather upgrade or visual effects upgrade. To buy a Co-pilot program that actually puts a co-pilot in the right seat. You could have a hot button to enable him and you could pan over and watch him or her move doing all the actions of tuning in the radio or taking the controls. You could then get up and go to the back cabin and enjoy the view while you relax for awhile. Have another hot key that has him just tune the radios for you. Could be part of the atc prompt. And while your doing all the work hes or she is looking around. The mouth moves while when he/she talks on the radio. To have a FS that the core engine was able to be upgraded would be so ideal. FS2k2 has almost everything we want just needs upgrades. food for thought.Kil~

Guest AV8RFOOL

Hello Bill,From what I understand, the two sims are not related as much as they once used to be. A whole new engine was created for CFS3 and from what I understand what was said at the AVSIM conference they will go further and further away from one another as each generation of refinements and features are added in future versions. The benefit they will still have together is that most of team works on both projects and some programming techniques will be able to be transferred.Jeff