Sign in to follow this  
Guest flightpro08

I Installed CFS3- NO MORE FS2002 MULTIPLAYER

Since I've installed CFS3 I've been having problems joining the Fs2002 multiplayer sessions. I can join the IP fine, but I can't see the other aircraft. It works fine with FS Host, but I get stuck with VATSIM and IP games. Maybe there

Guest PhilipManwaring

I think you're correct. Joining isn't the issue, but you don't see anybody else, not even Squawkbox. The bizarre thing is that they can see you! What a PITA ..

Guest PhilipManwaring

Here is the solution: When CFS3 installs DirectPlay8.2, it creates a Windows XP "System Restore" point. Thus, you can use System Restore to get back to DirectX 8.1. That solved the problem for me, but it also uninstalled CFS3 (even renaming the program directory), so apparently you can't keep CFS3 and DX8.1. CFS3 was starting to shape up as a fun little game, but I love my VATSIM flights. Given the choice, I'll keep enjoying VATSIM and play IL2 instead - it's fun too and it doesn't screw up my O/S!It's a shame too - I was starting to like CFS3, evem with it's crappy sound glitches, suicidal AI, and sometimes inscrutable mission objectives. It was just a fun overall experience with that new campaign system and the weather and lighting are really nice. I guess MS will patch DX8.2 at some point and maybe I'll give it another go. In the meantime, EB only gives you 7 days to return so I guess I don't have time to wait for the patch.Happy flying,Philip.

Have you tried testing the DirectPlay from within DirectX diagnotic and testing the lines. I have tested over my in-house LAN but not outside internet.If you try TCP/IP, you will need the IP address.

>Since I've installed CFS3 I've been having problems joining >the Fs2002 multiplayer sessions. I can join the IP fine, >but I can't see the other aircraft. It works fine with FS >Host, but I get stuck with VATSIM and IP games. Maybe >there

Lord knows what new files DirectX 8.2 has added that your registry is now pointing to. I manually uninstalled DirectX 8.0 under Windows 95 last year. But it was a process, and I fix systems for a living for users who say "no" to reformats. Couldn't imagine ever walking someone through the process.Most of the DX uninstaller programs are no longer maintained. Even if you succeed, you'd have to reinstall media player and the multimedia updates. Instead, I'd lobby Microsoft long and hard about this issue. Multiplayer is bad enough in FS2002 without one of their updates making matters worse.... Good luck...-John

Guest flightpro08

MS wants us to believe you can't uninstall DirectX, but it's a bit more muddled than that. Depending on your O/S and your skills, it can be uninstalled. But it is a pain and is only worthwhile if the process of reinstalling all your apps is more of an issue. Personally, I'd wait for MS to patch DirectX 8.2....

Thanks for the replies, guys. Guess I'll just have to wait. Hope my VA understands!! lol...John H.

Guest PhilipManwaring

Even though you didn't get a restore point before installation, you should still be able to go back to a point before you installed 8.2 - it's just that it might be a few days old. It should still work.

>Even though you didn't get a restore point before >installation, you should still be able to go back to a point >before you installed 8.2 - it's just that it might be a few >days old. It should still work. Tried it. Has restore points for today, but it won't go back to any other day or month. Yes it was enabled......John H.

Guest Sabadin

DirectX can't be uninstalled, but it can be overwritten. Go into your start menu and run regedit. then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-Software-Microsoft-DirectX. There should be a line that reads version "4.08.xx.xxxx" ,right click on it and select delete then reinstall DX8.1 . Works for me on Win98 when my DX goes bad.

DirestX will, indeed, overwrite itself (with no need for any Registry hacks). But it will only do so with the same or a newer version. Trip

Hey thanks for the replies guys, i really appreciate it. At least im not the only one with this prob.... I think im gonna wait for the dirext x patch.