Sign in to follow this  

Generating Scenery File Indices?

Guest SD Sim

Hi All,I just encountered a very strange event in FS2K2. I launched the game the same way I have for months now, but when the splash screen came up, there was a message that stated "Generating scenery file indices". Now this has never happened before, and I brushed it off as a bizzare hickup. But I run WidevieW, so I actually have to run the sim on three computers. So I launch on the second client, and same message. I have not installed any scenery lately, but this is the first time I have flown since the time changed yesterday. Has anyone else had this happen? It always makes me nervous when my world is so suddenly turned inside out ;)

YES,The exact same thing happened to me yesterday. I have no explanation as to what is happening.John M.

That's nuts... same thing happened to me... YESTERDAY. Things that make you go hmmm...

Guest CapHavoc

Howdy,Yep, same here, but this has been happening for about two weeks now. Check your FS root folder, there may be any number of variously titled files about 1Mb in size hiding there from the rebuild. I am beginning to suspect (after re-formatting my hd and re-installing FS 3 times within the last week and experiencing the same problem again and again and again) that there is a limit to the number of enabled scenery entries allowed in the database/indices (the problem goes away when I have unchecked some).

Look for multiple copies of traffic.bgl using a search key of traffic. The only traffic.bgl should be in your fs2002scenedbATCScenery folder. If you find multiple copies, delete them or rename the extension from *.bgl to *.WHATHIS, .ORIGINAL, .HUH or any favorite dot.swear word!!If you have installed any new scenery that has duplicate AFD (navigation files) files, it may also cause this problem plus make several entries for the same airport in the select an airport dropdown.

Yes,I too experienced this event yesterday 10/28/02.Now, I have seen this MANY times in the past and it alwayshappens when I install add-on scenery and/or adjust my traffic(via ttools).However, yesterday, I did not install ANYTHING new. Just launchedFS after a reboot.I have been using the new FS SKY SE, but I've used the originalversion for months and changing cloud sets never causedthis scenery file indices message to appear in the past.So, for some strange reason, on 10/28/02, this event happensto a few of us ....StrangeJerryG

I'm almost certain it is tied to one of two things: Either the switch from Daylight Savings Time, or the switch in season. Either one of them causes FS2K to use a different set of BGLs.

Guest wkzzo

I also saw the same thing, and I have not installed any scenery files for months. Checked my scenery cfg file and all looks well and everythings in order. I have fs2002 on two different comp's, I only saw this happen on my win xp machine, on my win 98 computer this did not happen. The last thing I added was the new meljet 747 ,but I cant see how this would cause fs2002 to write new scenery indicies?

Guest SD Sim

I suspect that if you look on the Win98 machine that the time was not automatically changed back from daylight saving time? It sounds to me like the problem is related to the time change. That was my first reaction, but I wanted to see if I was alone. Guess not.

Guest wkzzo

On the win 98 machine the time was automaticlly changed back one hour just like the xp machine. About the only thing different about the installations is the win 98 machine is running fsuipc 2.89 and the xp machine has 2.92.

Exact same thing happened to me on Sunday (day before yesterday) too. I run XP with FS2k2 on my new machine. It was Daylight savings time. FS2002 must have gotten confused because of the time change cause it did not happen on my Win98 machine with FS2k2. Exact same Fuispc and everything else. Definitely a bug that MS needs to address cause it's gonna happen again next spring and then again next fall. Don't know if I can handle it. hehehehe.