Sign in to follow this  
Rocky

Flight Director

I noticed a strange behavior of the flight director in the following conditions:- autopilot is NOT armed- altitude hold is NOT armed on the autopilot- flight director is NOT armedNow, if I arm the altitude hold on the autopilot, without arming the autopilot, then the flight director turns ON !!And worse than that: if I turn the flight director off, the altitude hold turns off on the autopilot !!I had never noticed this before, and I find it quiet strange.Do you have the same behavior?Do you know a way to change this behavior?Thanks for any info !!

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi Eric,to my knowledge, it depends of the A/P implementation in FS2002 and can basically be shorten to:1) A/P that is just a mock up of the FS2002 default (almost all payware / shareware to date - especially the ones with a "rendition" of the S-TEC 55 series). It just behaves like the FS2002 one and exhibit the typical problem of G/S capture (whatever the look of the A/P - bitmaps - as long as it relies on the FS2002 engine, it will exhibit this problem. Although some flight dynamics might lessen the effect).2) custom made A/P that overides the FS2002 engine (such as a freeware Autoland Gauge - don't remember the name here, sorry and the reality xp S-TEC included in the Geofa's B33).When dealing with 2) any custom feature might enhance the A/P basic engine to fit the simulated avionics. As an example, the S-TEC in the Geofa's B33 features a "heading turn knob". While the A/P is engaged, you can turn the aircraft with it. It is not a HDG BUG change knob, it is a ROLL the PLANE knob.As for the F/D, on the airliners, the F/D always shows the FPV (Flight Path Vector). If you engage the A/P, the A/P then flies the F/D. The MCP (Mode Control Panel) is used to set the FPV (Desired Altitude / HDG / VS ...). In FS2002, the F/D behavior is not always consistent with the A/P mode engaged.What aircraft / avionics were you using in your example?

I was asking this question because I have developed an Airbus A320 panel, and I'm now working on the PFD.As you said, I will code the gauge so that some of the FS information regarding the flight director will be ignored, and I will manage my own flight director, no problem.Thanks for your help !!Eric