Sign in to follow this  

Funny real world aviation experience.

"Funny" is one word to describe it, and having traveled the same airspace I can relate to the visual challenge.However, with the number of lives potentially endangered, winging it with dead reckoning is a bad idea. Basic use of the many navaids in the area would have been advisable."Irresponsible" would be my description.

ugcx_banner.png

Not a Funny experence!!! Some Pilots didn't see the need that I felt to do my own navigation even under Radar Controlled IFR conditions... Until I realized at one point that if I didn't make a immediate drastic turn I was toast because they had vectored me into a mountain... Not much fun.... Won't go into the discussion that ensued shortly thereafter...Ron Mashburn

So what you are telling me Ron is that I shouldn't be ticked off with FS ATC for once in a while nearly sending me in to a mountain?

What an idiot! :-eek Even flying VFR during the day I always used the navaids; to keep in practice if nothing else.One funny story concerning ATC though. I was coming in to land at Lancaster PA, and the tower said they would call my base turn. Well five miles or so later I was still flying downwind. I called the tower and just gave my N number; I got a sheepish 4897B you are clear to turn base. :) Needless to say it was a Loong final. :-hah

Well, since this thread got started...While on my first solo cross country for my private pilot's license, I flew from Grand Prairie, Tx. to Tyler, Tx. Both are controlled fields. My instructor forewarned me, "if you have any problems with ATC, or are given any instructions you don't understand, just tell them you're a student pilot, and they'll work with you."As luck would have it, while approaching the Tyler airport, I was told to enter the pattern on a left base for a particular runway. A Piper Navajo had announced left crosswind and then downwind for the same runway about a minute earlier. It didn't take me long to figure out that my C-150 would be quickly overtaken by the somewhat faster twin. Concerned with "cutting him off", I hestitated to turn into the pattern area, trying to visually locate the Navajo. ATC observed my hesitation to turn and asked if I wanted another runway. I replied, "I was just looking for the Navajo. For tower's information, I'm a student pilot."After a brief pause came the reply:"That's OK, I'm a student controller!" Funny guy......Mark

<<<"That's OK, I'm a student controller!" >>>:-lol :-lol! Heard that one before myself!I'll add mine to the list. We were comming in to NAS Corpus Christi from a night patrol off the south Texas/Mexico coast in a Falcon 20 and were running somewhat low on fuel but had enough for a T&G followed by a full stop with enough reserve to be comfortable since it was a clear windless night. Well we did the T&G and were the only one in the pattern, The controller asked if we would mind if he put a student controller on the Scope for a few minutes while he went to the restroom. We said "Sure what could possibly go wrong" Any way we were vectored around the pattern by the student controller and when we were ready for our turn to base a lone T-34 called in that he was having engine troubles and declared an emergency. The Student told us to extend our downwind and he would call our turn so he could give the T-34 the field. We kept on our heading and waited listening to the student frantically give vectors to the Troubled T-34. Once he was on final we prompted him for our turn to base. By now we were 10 miles West of the field. He told us to standby, he had an emergency. We told him if we didn't turn soon we would have to declare Min fuel and he would have two emergencies, He then asked the T-34 to "Pick up the Speed" By now we were looking into going into Downtown Corpus Christi airport to get out of this guys hair. Suddenly the Other controller came back and told us to turn inbound. I could hear him in the background saying something about Parallell runways and calling for help. The poor Student Controller must have been in a Panic! http://www.ktone.org/images/FSD_ken.jpg

Guest RiddlePilot

Over the summer between HS graduation and the first year of college, I flew up to my girlfriend's town and brought her back to Newport News/Williamsburg Intl and then went out to eat in the big city. After landing at PHF, we were taxiing in and heard alot of nonsense being transmitted on the ground frequency. It sounded like an ATIS broadcast, but stopped half way through. Then, out of no where, came many horrific profanities. My girlfriend turned and looked at me and said "Do they normally talk like that on the radio?". Then another female pilot on the ground told the controller that someone in the tower was transmitting profanaties. In response, the voice said "I know ma'am, we're gonna have a talk with that controller." It was clear though that it was the same voice, with a terrible attempt at disguising it. Turns out, the controller was trying to record a new ATIS broadcast, but the recorder wasn't cooperating with him, so he resorted to cussing at it, not knowing he had a stuck transmitter the whole time.P.S. My girlfriend thought that I had gotten myself into a hobby/career full of crazy people.

Well, Rich,you sorta have to make your own comparision... Mine was a real world situation which wouldn't have been so easy to recover from as a sim situation but on the other hand it is still annoying, it's just that you always come out of it alive!!!Ron