Sign in to follow this  

Jet Cruising Alt. Rules

Can someone please list the rules of the even/odd levels in either west or east flight. Thanks

Hi,Here's what I've used straight from the Canadian flight training book "From the Ground Up". I've used this data for VATSIM planning and it's worked out fine every time. DISCLAIMER :-) This is meant as a general guide-line for flight sim flight planning purposes, not for real life aviation flight planning.Cruise altitudes

little attention to cruise altitudes above FL290:over the Atlantic,in a great part of Canada and in almost whole Europe,RVSM (Reduced Vertical Seperation Minimum) is now implemented. This means RVSM equipped aircraft can cruise at every FL(=now 1000 feet seperation instead of 2000 feet above Fl290):westbound flights on even FL (300,320,340,...) and eastbounds on od FL's: 310,330,350,370,...follow the link to see were RVSM in hte world already has been implemented: www.faa.gov/ats/ato/status_ww.htm

Hi Seba,Thanks for that link! As it turns out, the map shows that the northern most portions of Canada have been impemented but the lower parts (where the majority of north american airline traffic flies) are still marked as planned. Judging by the labels it would seem that Canada south and domestic US are scheduled for 2004 implementation. None the less, anyone taking a routing through northern Canada destine for the orient can now take advantage of the new rules.Thanks again for the link and the added info. Updating my document as we speak/type :-)Mikehttp://www.members.shaw.ca/madamo/boeingsig.jpg

Note that in the US, there is no VFR at or above FL180, so it's just evens +500 westbound, odds +500 eastbound below that.Matt

Hi Seba,Actually RVSM is in effect in southern Canada now. I have friends at the Vancouver ATC that told me it is now in effect. Also have the most recent Canadian high altitude charts and they show RVSM in effect. Just lisented to Speedbird 84 on my scanner (CYVR-EGLL) and he was cleared to FL320. This RVSM thing still seems a bit strange at times. Sometimes Speedbird goes FL330 and other times he follows the RVSM rules like he did tonight.Chris

I5 13600KF 5.1GHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 12G| | MSI Z690 Tomahawk DDR4 WiFi MB | M.2 NVMe SSD"s 2X1TB/2X2TB / HDD's 3X4TB and 1X8TB | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 64 Pro 

Chris,this summer I did EHAM-CYVR and noticed the same weird behaviour:we started at FL320 (normal)-then FL340 (stil normal)-FL350 over Canada (probably in a non-RVSM environment)then FL370 over canada???I still haven't figured out how this is possible,even without RVSM this would be a wrong cruising level for a westbound flight,just like you said FL330 for speed bird

Straight from FAR 91.179In controlled airspace it is any altitude ATC assigns.In uncontrolled airspace: Below 18,000 MSL: magnetic course 0-179 = any odd thousand MSL (180-359 is even thousands) FL180 to FL290: 0-179 any odd flight level, 180-359 any even flight level Above FL290: 0-179 odd flight level in 4,000' intervals (i.e. FL290, FL330, etc.) with 180-359 being even 4,000' intervalsPlease note that the odd/even applies technically to only uncontrolled airspace, however most AT facilities utilize these rules in controlled airspace.