Sign in to follow this  

Problem with FS2K and Norton AV2003 Pro or Firewall??

Hi All,I have just installed the demo versions of Norton AV2003 Pro and Personal Firewall. I have to say that I luv both of these programs except...When they are active, and I start FS2K, FS starts funny and when loading into the flight pops to the desktop. There is no indication of a crash, however when I ALT+TAB back into FS, it loads a black window then back down to the desktop she goes, again no crash indication.I tried deactivating both the firewall and NAV, by that I mean I turned off auto-protect from the systray. That doesnt work. I had to CTL+ALT+Delete and kill FS and then use End It All to kill the working services in order to fly. Thats not so bad either, I would like the firewall to remain functioning though. The worst part is that in order to start auto protect again and surf or check email I have to reboot in order to for them to come bace online. Any suggestions? Could it be that FS is trying to access the net and the firewall is blocking it? I was not initiating an MP session, just starting up a normal flight. Could it be an addon like Flightmax loading up? Any and all help would be appreciated or an alternate firewall suggestion. Mark

Nope as I stated earlier no error messages, just FS jumping back to the desktop. Deactivating the AV and the FW did nothing. Only using End It all worked.Mark

Mark - I know this won't help solve the problem but I'm running the 2003 version of both the Norton firewall and NAV with WinXP Pro and have never had any issues with FS2002. The Norton firewall is, IMNSHO, among the best but it is also among the most troublesome to get running on many systems. Here's what I'd do...Uninstall both the firewall and NAV and then be sure FS2002 works as it should. Reinstall NAV only and, again, be sure FS2002 is still running. If the sim runs OK with NAV installed, reinstall the firewall. Turn off every option in the firewall except the basic Personal Firewall. If the sim still runs OK, then start turning on the other firewall options until you find the culprit. The last ditch effort would be to uninstall and reinstall FS2002 after all the Norton stuff is up and running. Trip