Sign in to follow this  

Weather - What is the Best?

Lately we have seen a few weather generating software programs come out. Activesky, Weather Maker and Fs Metro, etc...Which one is the best?Paul

Paul,With some of the past notes regarding startup and 'crash' problems from 'real' weather generation systems linked to the internet, etc., I still just want a simple system that runs on the hard drive and produces random weather changes. I have had a few of these, and most were visually o.k., but caused some problems with the way the sim ran. Nothing catastrophic, but annoying. (No pain, no gain... and I thank all of those freeware authors whose products I used. All of flight simulator seems to be a continuous learning experience.) Anyway, yesterday, I downloaded 'Weathermaker 1.2' and the cloudsets from FSSkyworld's latest release. I think I now have what I've been looking for. The clouds are even better than I expected, and Weathermaker 1.2 ran without any glitches at all. You still get some framerate hit in the clouds, but it seemed, overall, a little smoother. Weathermaker 1.2 can throw some neat stuff at you, especially just before touchdown... keeps you on your toes.All I can say is try them, I think you will like them.And special thanks to the authors of these gems, Chris Willis and Reed Stough.Good flights,Bob

Paul,FSMeteo solved all my problems. Run it also withFlightmax.Peter Sydney Australia

Guest Eric

Hello,FSMeteo, Flightmax and Fs Sky World Se Excellent!!!Eric

Bob,Can you tell me where to grt Weathermaker 1.2 ?I've tried Avsim and Flightsim Libraries with no joy.Thanks for any help.Frank

Guest GabrielR

For sure, those 3 programs are the best out there, when it comes to real weather generation. I also reccomend FS ActiveSky, totaly freeware, which runs without a glitch on my machine and provides me with updated real time weather and nice-challenging conditions during flight. Try it, get a nice set of clouds, if you don't have the moneyto expend in FSMeteto, the gold standard in this area.

Guest ba747heavy

Hey all --I think that Active Sky is the best. I use it and won't go back!!Clear skies

Paul,I got WeatherMaker 1.2 from Calibresoftware.com. If you have problems getting to their site, try a Google search.Good luck,.. enjoy,Bob

I havent installed FS Skyworld yet. Based on what I understand..(PLEASE correct me if Im wrong!) you have to pre-select whatever cloud set you want during your flight. This isnt exactly random, but more of a substitution of default bmps with new ones. If thats correct Im not interested. Too predictable. I'd really like to have the real downloaded weather dictate the cloud set. I frankly think the default clouds are pretty good anyway, but of course am very interested in any improvements that dont kill framerate. If my estimation of how this works is wrong, please let me know...I really am interested in using this stuff if it works with real weather and is a visual improvement without killing FPS.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest Eric

Hi, They don't kill frame rate and there is the alternative clouds pack, have better frame rate than default fs2002 clouds."you have to pre-select whatever cloud set you want during your flight"Wrong, you can have ALL FSW clouds set during your flight, and you don't touch anything, only by enabling the auto install feature.I don't like the default fs2002 clouds. Chris clouds are 10x better.Eric