Sign in to follow this  

Radeon 9700

Was just wondering if anyone is using the Radeon 9700 and what settings you are running it at.

King:I am running the 9700. I have it set via the ATI Control Panel at highest quality (all sliders to the right).I also am using power strip to over clock it.Engine: 339.88 = 679.76Memory:336.70 = 673.4Performance on my P4 3.2Ghz is spectacular with FS2002 and all sliders to the right there too.Mike T.

Good to hear it hasn't blown up on you Mike. Your system has to be the fastest one running flightsim. Are you running any other sims?? I'm running FS2k2 and CFS2 both in D3D at 4xAA & 16xAF at 16x12x32 and IL2 in OpenGL with same settings. All three work perfectly. Waiting patiently for Forgotten Battles and FS2k4.

I ordered a Connect3D Radeon 9700 to replace my old Ti500. Good to hear it works well with FS.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

hehehe....naw, the system is cooled to the point where in a resting state it is at 27.6c and running FS2002 it never breaks a sweat above 35.0c core temp. I'm running FS2K2 at 1600x1200x32 with 6x Anti Aliasing and have the slider locked at 25Fps where it generally stays pegged even at airports with 60 AI planes at the gates.ALL except KFLL where I get a rousing 5fps? Can you say BUG? :-lolRegards,Mike T.

Jimmi:The only thing that you MUST remember is that when upgrading your drivers you MUST uninstall the old ones first and reboot your system before putting on the new ones. If you don't woe be unto you!!!I was lazy when I first tested the card with my old 2.0ghz P4 and FS2002 screamed bloody murder.Upgrading drivers and control panel requires a little massaging but other than that I must admit it is a WONDERFUL card.Enjoy.Mike T.

Here's a technical article comparing the ATI9700 with Nvidia NV30 .Interesting; what I could understand of it. http://www.beyond3d.com/articles/nv30r300/ ""Apparently, NVIDIA is inclined to think that the shading program executing efficiency will take the place of memory bandwidth and become the main hurdle of real-time rendering performance for future 3D games and applications. This appears to be confirmed by the NV30 architecture. Compared with that of R300, the more advanced architecture of NV30 will lead to the possibility that an effect which needs several rendering passes or shading programs in R300 will only need one pass and one shading program in NV30. The advanced architecture of NV30 not only improves program performance and decreases the required bandwidth, but also helps programmers to improve working efficiency."" ""However, if the fragment processor in NV30 doesn't have similar parallel processing ability of the pixel engine in R300, the performance gap will be minimized when running pixel shaders. Besides, 128bit memory interface requires that NV30 must be equipped with expensive high speed DDRII memory, and R300 can improve its bandwidth more easily than NV30 can. I will not be surprised that ATI push its >350MHz version R300 (Ultra version? :-)) with 400MHz DDR out at the same time of the debut of NV30.""""R300 has a muscular brute-force architecture (4VS units and 256bit interface) while NV30 has a sophisticated design. Very funny""I just love competition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest JeanLuc_

WOW! what a tech article!!I particularly love this: http://www.beyond3d.com/articles/nv30r300/index.php?p=6This is incredible to see these pictures, knowing they are rendered in real time, and thinking about some Imagina clips a few years ago that were of the same quality, except being computed for weeks if not months. What strucks me is that no game today renders with this quality...

I'm afraid this may just be what bit me today. Put in a 9700 Pro to replace two nVidia cards, and FS2002 doesn't run with hardware acceleration on for more than a second before the whole system crashes. Any idea how I can get the old nVidia drivers or whatever is conflicting now completely off my system? Thanks.-FDj