Sign in to follow this  
Guest gasebah

Why full screen mode????

Hi,could someone tell me why I should use Full screen mode? What do I see more/ better in the full screen mode?I use a feforce 4 MX440 64 MB. When I do'n use the full screen mode I the frame rates doubles! So what are the bennefits of full screen?Thanks

i pretty much always fly by windows mode. i find i get more frame rates when im in windows mode then when im in full screen mode. altho the graphics do tend to be a bit better in full screen mode. however when ever flying online using squawkbox id stay away from full screen mode since alot of people dont print theyre charts and stuff and frequently have to surf the websites and stuff while flying to get the info they need. once i shrink fs in full screen mode and try to open it back it, the darn thing stops responding. thats the main reason i use windows mode

Everyone has a preference that's right for them. I fly in full screen because the menus and borders distract me from being immersed in the feeling of flying. I just alt-enter to check FSMeteo, etc. and then go back to full-screen and forget that I am merely sitting in front of my computer.

Ok but are there some special effects you miss in window mode??thanks

The answer to your question is, "probably". When you transition to windowed mode, the video settings for your desktop take precedence over what you have enabled for your applications. Which means that FSAA, anthropic filtering, etc. may be diminished. In reality, it may not make much difference and you never really notice the change. So, if you're happy running in windowed mode, then there's really no reason to change.

I have the same card as you and personally prefer full screen. That being said there is one thing you will miss with this card if you go to full screen and that is the metalic/chrome textures. (I presume you have seen the rather convoluted workaround to get them working in windows mode. The card is not fully DirectX 8 complaint)CheersMark Underwood(Adelaide, Australia)

I use fullscreen mode because, like someone else said, the menus and window border distracts and makes it feel less "real". Also you get a bigger picture in fullscreen mode (which is probably why the framerate is higher). FSAA and Aniso works fine in Windowed mode on my Ti500, though.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

well usualy the windowed mode does not have the same resolution as the full screen mode, that is why you might see better performance (less pixels to draw)... and the windowed mode completely kills the realism (feel) of being there...

The only time I think it really matters is when I fly at night, and to make it most real, I like to turn the lights out in the room. With that kind of setup, the light from the borders is HIGHLY distracting to the effect.During the day, I fly windows mode...just more convenient.Bob B

I fly in wndowed mode all the time. A number of people have commented on the immersion value of full screen. I think that is a load of bull - how can you forget where you are when you have a baby crying, the dog barks, the door opens and an angry women is in the doorway intent upon removing vital parts of the anatomy one has come to treasure over the years etc etc etc.Use the mode that suits you best and from what you have said frame rates are far superior in windowed mode. If I were you, that's where I would be.

I also find very distracting the window borders at night, but since my card (Hercules 4500) refuses to work properly in full screen in XP, I've created a user profile for this purpose, which has window borders and task bar in black/dark grey colours.Still, I loose anti-aliasing in window mode, but I double the fps.Pacosailplane.jpgStultorum numerus infinitus est.

Guest gasebah

The only reason why you probably double the frame rate is that all your settings that affect picture quality like AA, AF are disabled. On top of that the sim is running at the same resolution as your desktop. So you can as well run the game in full screen with doubled frame rates. Simply disable all driver goodies and set the res to your desktop res. IMHO opinion that would make more sense then running in windowed mode.Having said that, let us all do what makes us happy.Alex

well , i m just lucky, I dont have all those distractions...oh and I use also headphones.... so... load of whatever :)blah.... :-P

hmm. my reflections work in windows mode. is this a problem with the GF4 card?