Sign in to follow this  

new aircraft and AI traffic

How do you get all 3rd party aircraft installed in fs2002 to be used as AI traffic? Thanks for answering.

Guest jase439

While we are on this subject...I tried "associating" the PAI Delta 732 Powerpuff livery with the YeoDesigns Powerpuff aircraft. I did this using AI Traffic's "associate" feature under the Aircraft tab. When I went to do this, however, the YeoDesigns aircraft was not available in the list of aircraft I could associate. Do you know why this would be? Are there restrictions on the kind of MDL's or textures that can/cannot be used as AI craft?Certainly, I could "hack" the Aircraft.txt file to do this, but I figured there was probably a sound reason why AI Traffic would not allow me to select the Yeo Designs aircraft for AI purposes?J

Guest Joshieca

Not sure what you mean with the "Powerpuff livery" but I do know that usually two different aircraft model's livery's are NOT compatible.In other words you can't take a PAI repaint of a Delta 757 and expect it to work on say Mike Stone's 757. You need to use repaints for each model. Each model of aircraft has their own set of .bmp files that make up the paints for that livery.

Guest jase439

mmm...that's not what I mean...Let me back up a bit here. The developers that did the Delta Express Auto-Installer included flight plans for a 732 aircraft that has no corresponding aircraft (i.e. no MDL, no textures, no nothin). When I inquired about this livery, they gave me an "oh whoops - yeah we sorta missed that one...try using YeoDesigns 732 instead as a replacement for that aircraft (YeoDesigns happens to have a 737-200 that is painted in this particular livery - in this case the "Delta Airlines Powerpuff Girls").That said...when I go into AI Traffic it says:AI aircraft not found in FS2002:PAI B732 DALX POWERPUFFAnd if you open up AIRCRAFT.TXT you do in fact see:AC#2220,460,"PAI B732 DALX POWERPUFF"There are flight plans associated with AC#2220 in FLIGHTPLANS.TXTOne option is to assign this route to another aircraft. This is NOT what I want to do.What I DO want to do is assign AC#2220 to my YeoDesigns 732-200. Now...is that a simple matter of changing the entry in the AIRCRAFT.TXT file and recompiling? The reason I ask that is if I go back into AI Traffic and highlight PAI B732 DALX POWERPUFF and click the Associate button, my YeoDesigns 732-200 is not presented to me as a choice in the "Associate with" drop down list. In fact, there are several aircraft that I have installed that are not present in that list.My question is WHY are those aircraft not present in that list. What does AI Traffic know about my YeoDesigns 732-200 that I do not? Is it a bug in AI Traffic, or is there something about this particular model that prevents it from being used as a valid AI aircraft? If that is the case, what should I be looking for? What determines if an aircraft is suitable for use as an AI aircraft?Does that clear up my question?J

Your correct, simply take the Title= entry from the YeoDesigns 737-200 Powerpuff and insert it into the correct spot in your Aircraft.txt file. As this is the aircraft called on by FS2002 when asked, you won't even need to recompile.I've used lots of the YeoDesigns aircraft in my plans, and they work fine, although obviously give a bigger hit on frame rates than the PAI planes.

Jase,Easiest way is to use AI Traffic Mover and it's Substitute option. I've just had a similar thing happen after moving flightplans.txt from one PC to another. Two minute job :)

Guest Joshieca

>My question is WHY are those aircraft not present in that >list. What does AI Traffic know about my YeoDesigns 732-200 >that I do not? Is it a bug in AI Traffic, or is there >something about this particular model that prevents it from >being used as a valid AI aircraft? If that is the case, >what should I be looking for? What determines if an >aircraft is suitable for use as an AI aircraft? >>Does that clear up my question? >>J Like the others have said, the quickest way would be to open up your YeoDesigns 732-200 aircraft.cfg file and copy the TITLE= info to your aircraft.txt file from TTools and then recompile the thing.I would recommend Thomas's program of AITMhttp://www.molitor-home.de/FS/AITM/It helps to maintain your installed base of aircraft. You can use it to shuffle your flight's around....however, if you have certain flight plans in place which belong to specific aircraft you might not want to use the shuffle feature. As this will change the assoication of those flights to other aircraft.As for what makes an aircraft good for AI? Well that can be a hard question. To tell the truth any aircraft can be used as AI. The thing that you need to test for are;- good frame rates...no sense in using an aircraft as just AI if they are going to suck up all your CPU power- does the landing gear work and will it remain above ground while on the ground?- does it land correctly or will it crash short of the field?Those are important factors to consider when choosing AI aircraft. Certainly most of the PAI planes are AI friendly. Some GMAX one's also. A good thing to look at is the texture folder. The more items in there, the higher their file size, the less likely they will make a good AI aircraft for frame rates.Sometimes you can cheat a bit. Should you find a plane that you like to use as AI aircraft. The frame rates are good, it stays on the ground fine, but maybe it just doesn't land right. Crashes short of the field say. Well you can borrow the .air file from one that does land right. Lets say that you want to use your 737-200 Yeo and it doesn't land right. You can copy the .air file from the default 737 from Microsoft and put it into your Yeo 737-200. Then just reassign the sim= section of that aircrafts "aircraft.cfg" file to the new .air file's name. Then that Yeo 737-200 should land correctly now. Just make sure that you're not going to want to fly that aircraft, because the flight dynamics might be a little off.You just have to take some time, a weekend perhaps, and try out some of the planes. Make a list and go from there.Hope that helps.

Guest jase439

OK, great info guys! Thanks for the helpful tidbits on this. It sounds like AI Traffic (not AITM) may be a little buggy then by not letting me choose the Yeo 737.Cheers!J