Sign in to follow this  
Guest MC767

DX8.2 Offical Release DL Link

Run, run away! Its not worth the hassle. It will break the multiplayer option in fs2002. Best of luck.

Word to the wise....If it ain't broke, don't fix it... Don't rush to install it if all you hope to get is an improvement in fps, or a cure for dynamic blurries. I have not been too impressed with Microsoft's track record on releases in the past few months. Look how something as simple as a Terrain SDK was released, then pulled, then rereleased again...-John

For those that DO NOT use multiplayer and maybe have a Geforce 3 video card. I would only say that this update finaly has given me the great fullscreen antialiasing I expected when I bought it. The difference it has made is remarkable. :-) :-)I disabled AA in display properties and checked it within FS harware settings. Although I don't monitor fps, I clearly am getting better performance.SteveCYYZ

What's interesting about that is that MS says this update is DX 8.1b plus DirectPlay updates meant to fix multiplayer issues. If that's the case, the DirectPlay updates should have nothing to do with AA. Somewhat sad a Multiplayer fix would instead break it.....

Guest SoarPics

Installed a few hours ago (from the MS site linked above) and have no problems. My system is a 1.4 Athlon Tbird @ 1.5 w/ GF3 Ti200 clocked at Ti500 speeds. I noticed a 15-20% increase in FR, and the colors are marginally more vibrant. Dynamic blurries have also decreased. Overall a good, if not groundbreaking, simming improvement for me. That being said I do not fly Multiplayer. Some have suffered loss of their FS Navigator, especially when in MP. Also my OS is 98SE, kept very clean, and alot of the FS Nav problems seem to be with users of WinXP.Time and experience have taught me that MS rarely gets things right the first time. This update worked fine for me, and I'm pleased with what it has done for my system. Your mileage may vary, of course. Might be a good idea to have DirectX Buster on hand just in case.Regards,

Guest jase439

Alternatively, Windows XP and Windows ME users can create a System Restore point and do a rollback if necessary.

What version of DX were you on prior to the upgrade? I understand the d3d drivers are the same between DirectX 8.1b and DirectX 8.2. FPS should be unchanged, unless some dll in the original DX 8.1 upgrade wasn't being updated properly. Either that, or the junking of multiplayer in FS2002 actually improves performance? I'm running 98SE as well, and don't run FSNav. If MP works without FSNav, perhaps DX 8.2 would be worthwhile...

Guest SoarPics

I had been using Directx 8.1 build 4.08.01.0881. Your point about the junking of MP in FS2K2 may have merit.

Guest flightpro08
Guest Ken Meier

I Installed via the link above after creating a restore point in XP.All went fine with no problems. FS2002 works great, but I don't do MP so can't comment. FS Nav works fine as well. I don't watch frame rates, but the sim feels smoother.My specs;Win XPAMD 2000+MSI KT3 Ultra mobo1 gig DDR ramGF 4 ti4400 30.82 drivers