Sign in to follow this  

Sounds problem in FS2K2 wz SB Audigy

Hi all,I'm geting crazy now since I upgraded my OS from Win98se toXP home, and now I encounter lots of sounds pbms in FS2K2, and only in FS2K2 should I say.I have a P4 2.4Ghz, Asus P4B 533 E, SB audigy Live 5.1. and GeForce3ti200.Some time the sound pbm crashes the whole system.The sounds seem to be corrupted, small hashes and so on.All drivers are ok, I use the nVidia 30.82 drivers.Any idea?Maybe the onboard sound car of my MB, which IS deactivated inthe BIOS, but may be is still there somewhere!...Thinking about throughing my Computer out of the window.If anybody need one please tell me before its too late!...Spent all my money just for FS2KS!... AAARGHHH!...maybe also a conflict with the DVD player? (winDVD).I first installed the new PC with win98SE and everything wasok, so I getting nervous with XP.Any SB live owners have any similar pbms?thanks by advance guys..Arnie.

Guest emergency_pants

Arnie,I used to get bad sound corruption with my Audigy after I installed XP. It never crashed my system, just used to sqeek and scream nowe and again. I found some new drivers for the Audigy hiding at http://www.sblive.comCheck it out and see if this works. If not, make sure you have all your environmental sounds turned off and switch your sound quality slider (in FS2002) down one notch.Alternatively, if you really are at the point where you wanna throw the PC out the window, you could setup a new user account on your XP system especially for Flying. Then it will be possible to disable the SBAudigy and enable your onboard sound whenever you sign into that account. It's a solution as a last resort, I'd imagine.Cheers,Simon.

Dear Simon,a grerat thanks for your very wise suggestions.Where should I de activate the environemental sounds?you mean the one in FS sounds settings menu?If so, I'll try.another thing about the Sb Audigy: I use all the output ofthis card.If I leave WinXP install its own drivers, then I get onlyone output available. On the other hand, if I run the SB CD,it launches an autoinstall, and then with the CD drivers allthe outputs are working.What if I download new drivers on the link you kindly give me?Are your output all working?Gotta go to work now,regards...Arnie.

Arnie,There seems to be very nasty issues with SB drivers on XP. I have looked through the forums on http://europe.creative.com (follow Support-forums) after experiencing plenty problems myself with a Player 5.1 card, and it looks like there are more people with problems than not. Creative doesn't seem to be willing to rectify the problems, and for me it is the last time I buy any of their products. I have had endless problems with their DVD drive, some with my GeForce2 and now trouble galore with the sound card.I am experimenting with older drivers as suggested on the creative forums, I can report back when I am done if you want.

Guest emergency_pants

I have the Audigy Platinum, so I'm not sure about specific issues with the Player cards. I found that the latest drivers got rid of any problems I had with my sound. Raider, I'm not surprised you'd never buy Creative goods again, given their track record with your system!! I had problems getting my Creative DVD to work too... in fact, since I installed XP, I never ever got it to work... the Drive itself was fine but the decoder card drivers didn't work at all. I've removed it and will be selling it soon! Arnie, when I say check the environment sound setup, I mean to check it with your Creative software. There is a Creative utility that sets-up environmental sounds... I forget exactly what it's called... something like "EAX mixer" (?) I found that I had some strange reverb setting switched on by default, so it might be worth checking that there isn't a distortion setting or something strange going on with the EAX.I only use two outputs, so I'm not sure if they ALL work or not. I use the Platinum front panel for my headphones and that works fine. Also, my main (front speakers) speaker jack on the main card works fine... but I don't know about the secondary (rear) speaker jack.

Dear, my dears,thanks so much since I feel now much less lonely!...I've always been thinking that Creative sound vards were thebest on the market, but I now realise that if this were to betrue few years ago it is not true anymore.I swared two years ago I would not buy any of Creativegraphic cards because I've bought one once and it was a huge #####.But now, I even think I will avoid the sounds cards as well.I understand you all encountered pbms with this items.I did not install all the utilities on the CDs.I was also just about to bring back XP, but now I understand Ido really have a problem with Creative. It's a good new, at least.I have an onboard 5.1 sound card on my asus motherboard, maybe itwould be worthy to try this one also.something else, do you know if it matter: my GFrorce3 is seton an shared IRQ, (shared with an USB port).I know shared irq are not always bad, but I feel that the cardis working not as good as it did under Win98se with its own IRQ.warmest thanks for all your very precise informations.Regards,Arnie.

Hi Arnie,Relax and take a deep breath........That's better. I'm sure there has to be a simple solution short of what you have been tempted to do.I too have built a new system around WindowsXP Home Edition and like you encountered problems that turned out to be sound related. Specifically, much to my dismay and alarm, FS2002 was locking up and I can still remember the weeks of anxiety suffered under Windows 98 before a solution presented itself.Drivers, drivers, drivers. 99% of the time problem such as unexplained lockups are driver related. Fortunately I was well prepared and had acquired the latest Audigy drivers from Creative. Installed them and problem solved! System has been rock solid since.My System Spec:Gigabyte GA-8IRXP MoBoPIV 2.2A512MB Crucial PC2100 DDR Ram3D Blaster4 Ti4400 (Creative's 30.82 driver variants tweaked with RivaTuner LOD -0.1 and Anisotropy forced level 8)SB Audigy Player (Drivers version 5.12.01.0253 Signed)Deskstar 120GXP UDMA100 HDs x 2 (60 and 40 Gig)CH Products USB Yoke, Pedals and FighterstickPlantronics Headset and Mike comboPlexWriter 40/12/40APioneer DVD-106SWindows XP Home Edition (SP1)DirectX 8.1Good luck!Rest assured WindowsXP/FS2002 is the most stable combo yet. I have yet to encounter a BSOD or lockup since installing WindowsXP nearly 3 months ago. Great O/S and a real pleasure to use. Mind you, W98 wasn't bad either once you learnt all the troubleshooting manoeuvres and had installed the most stable and reliable drivers.Word of advice. Stick to updated official releases of drivers - you are far less likely to encounter problems.Mike :-wave