Sign in to follow this  
dmaher

Real life pilot, please tell me

But didn't your mother ever teach you to disagree without being disagreeable?Kevin Au Capt ERJ

Hi Pedro,How's it going with your cockpit ?!Best RegardsBernt

Guest jpcxcf

Hi Bernt,Sorry if I didn't bother you with more questions ;) but work and some personal problems kept me away from building the cockpit. Hope resume building in about 2 weeks.BTW can you send me some pics of the yoke and throttle in several angles?It's good to see you're again in good shape.Best regards,Pedro

>This was the original question: >>>Or those jet planes are normally designed to reduce speed only with>>throttle at idle? >>The answer is yes! >Regardless if it's a Motorglider or a Concorde. >I'm still waiting to see a Concorde using the speedbrakes! >You are all refering to ATC restriction and not to own >planning. >Again, if you are too stupid to calculate your descend you >shouldn't be in a cockpit. >Same if you are too stupid to anticipate the 250kts >restriction. >It's that simple. >>Regards >>Bernt Stolle Capt CRJ I can't be the only person who sees the irony in a "hotshot" CRJ captain calling others "stupid" but consistently and incorrectly using the term "descend planning" instead of "descent planning."

Sure, I just have to take them first. ;-)RegardsBernt Stolle Capt CRJ

Guest WorkingStiff

:-lol :-lol :-lol :-lol :-lol

JoelA,Tut mir wirklich leid, aber englisch ist leider nicht meine Muttersprache. Kann passieren.Bernt Stolle Capt CRJ

Ahh, another fight in the flight sim boards, we really should learn to get along ...Anyhow, what really is a pain is that fs02 doesn't allow graduated deployment of the spoilers.I remember back in fs2k days a gauge that allowed graduated spoiler deployment, though don't remember if it actually worked.Any such beast for fs02? Would it work or has fs02 changed parms for spoiler effect?BTW, one of the reasons one can find themselves constantly in need of spoliers in FS02 is that the aircraft is too heavy. Manage the fuel load. I have a few aircraft that if put into a descent with too much fuel, they will require on/off spoiler to keep them in check. Reduce that A/C's fuel to an acceptable weight, and no need for spoilers.

Guest ScottPilot

I try to plan my decents accordingly so that I don't have to use the air breaks (speed breaks) if possible. At higher speeds they tend to be rough on the "smoothness" for the passengers.However, there are times that the speedbreaks must be used. One example is in the Falcon 20, when the engine anti-ice is on, the power can only be pulled back so far to provide enough bleed air for the anti-ice system. When decending, it is necessary to use the speed breaks to help control airspeed. Also, if ATC requires a higher decent rate, it may be necessary to use the speed break once again to help control airspeed and in this case, rate of decent, to comply with the assigned decent/altitude requirements.Scott :-)ATP/CFII/(DA20)Falcon 20 Type Rated

ScottAnd then theres always the times when they stop your descent because of IFR traffic below, ask for high speed to a certain point to maintain seperation or give clearances like " No speed but expect a ######" (anyone heard that one ;-)Or that gentle tailwind icreases to give you 40 kts extra to what you had planned for ;-)etc etc etc.Peter

Bernt,<>May I refer you to your original statement...<>This suggests to me that you believe Concorde has speedbrakes but has yet to deploy them. Hence my reply.<>It's called ATC. Concorde's approach speed is 190kts and the landing speed is 160kts. Much higher of course but ATC at New York and London regularly manage to fit her into a landing pattern around much slower aircraft. I don't believe they've left one up there yet!<>You are quite rude aren't you? Of course I think before replying. You have now been rude to three people in this thread. Perhaps it's you that should think before replying. No-one else has ever accused me of that.I've said as much as I want on this matter.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Pedro,<>That is open to interpretation. What annoyed me was him calling people stupid.<>You may think that, others may disagree. He should have made his point clearer. It still doesn't excuse rudeness.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hello :)First of all, I'm not taking sides in this argument: I feel that there has been some slight misunderstandings in this thread, and nothing more.In FS I avoid using spoilers during decent - I heard about the practice being looked down upon. In FS2002, ATC isn't very demanding, and they never ask for a change in speed etc. I have witnessed an American 763 using spoilers when descending for Miami, and passenger comfort was not compromised - it felt normal, albeit a little noisier!In my opinion, avoiding spoiler use is a challenge that I relish in FS. I'm not bothered with spoiler usage in real airliners .... not worried about it at all :)For those people looking for a good spoiler control: The MD-11 panel (linked below) has a spoiler gauge that allows for incremented spoiler application :) My pic shows the spoilers at 25%.http://www.acsoft.ch

"For those people looking for a good spoiler control..."...Also, you can assign the spoilers to a joystick axis. ...I use my mixture lever as a spoiler when I fly jets. DannyCYVR