Sign in to follow this  

Perhaps you should have kept Quiet Bill ??

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared thecomputer industry with the auto industry and stated,"If GM had kept up with the technology like the computer industry has, wewould all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 milesto the gallon."In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press releasestating, "If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.2. Every time they painted new lines on the road, you would have to buy anew car.3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You wouldhave to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows beforeyou could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause yourcar to shut down and refuse to restart, in which caseyou would have to reinstall the engine.5. Only one person at a time could use the car unless you Bought "CarNT,"but then you would have to buy more seats6. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable,five times as fast and twice as easy to drive -- but it would only run on five percent of the roads.7. The oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would all bereplaced by a single "general protection fault" warning light.8. The airbag system would ask, "Are you sure?" before deploying.9. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, you car would lock you out andrefuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the antenna.10. GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of RandMcNally Road maps (now a GM subsidiary), even though they neither need nor want them. Attempting to delete this option wouldimmediately cause the car's performance to diminish by 50 percent or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the JusticeDepartment.11. Every time GM introduced a new car, car buyers would have to learn todrive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.12. You'd have to press the "start" button to turn the engine off.OHHH How TRUE ????

Guest Dean

You would think he would stop saying that year after year!;)

Guest flightpro08

I smile every time I see this one, but it's one of those "urban legends" in the sense that I've seen it attributed to GM, Boeing, Ford, etc.... The wording's always a bit different..Still a worthwhile laugh every time...

>OHHH How TRUE ???? Ohhh yes, dear John... :-lol LOL!!!Lotsa thanx for this thread... :-hahSee ya! :-waveEtienne@EDDF

General Motors Rule!Best Regards,Bruno Francescoli.Miami, FL.

"If GM had kept up with the technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 milesto the gallon."I guess I'll be the only one here to agree with this statement. :-)Do we forget how far the industry has come since computers used to take up city blocks. They help in the design of amazing aircraft like the Boeing 777, land commercial aircraft in thick fog and navigate ships to Mars. :-)SteveCYYZ

Guest saudi_777

Ahhhh yes Steve, but computers are computers, and Windows will always be friggin' crappy WINDOWS!! :-mad I fully agree with every statement the GM official said, since Windows always has this "craptacular" logic to it, in other words it will always hang and crash and require you to restart through the PC's "Restart" button, and it doesn't care if it does this while you're chatting with your girlfriend from Japan, or flying the big Greek online event on VATSIM during finals into Athens Intl Airport. IMHO it's always been crappy from Windows 98 to Windows XP, they always just crash whenever they want to.And about Microsoft products: The most thing I hate is that I have this Microsoft IntelliMouse mouse, and as if it has a mind of its own, the mouse would suddenly refuse to operate at times, and the only way to remedy this is by first hooking up my older mouse, then going to the BIOS page before entering Windows, and making sure that the mouse is enabled, then I enter Windows again, and after all that I re-connect the IntelliMouse mouse and it would work. At times I could've sworn that I heard the damn mouse laughing queitly at me after I go through this crappy remedy, time after time!! :-8 Yet I have a Microsoft Force Feedback 2 Joystick and it's been working like a charm with me ever since I bought it; quite a good piece of hardware!! :7Windows is crap IMHO, but at least it's better than nothing.... :-(Cheers,

Guest Eagle92395

I use Redhat and WinXP Pro, and I think XP is much more stable. I rarely ever CTD, probably not in the last 3 months and I do a lot of things more intensive than FS2k2. We have a Mac with OSX on our home network also, and it is no more stable than XP, and the CPU's Apple uses are way more expensive, slower and very non-upgradable. Just my opinion. :)

Guest mikehaska

They help in the design of amazing aircraft like the Boeing 777, land commercial aircraft in thick fog and navigate ships to Mars.Funny you should say that. Boeing's CAD computers, FMC and advanced GPS systems, and spaceship systems don't rely on Microsoft products. In fact, most computer software we use (like Windows and Java for example) come with the warning "Not to be used for critical operations" which rules out using Windows for a heart monitor or ILS system. Can you imagine? It would bring new meaning to the work "Fatal Error" :-)

I always find it quite funny to see how many times Microsoft gets bashed for Having horrible substandard software. I honestly haven't had very many problems with MS (Other than CFS3). People complaining about software, hardware, whatever. There is a solution, You do not have to use MS products. Ask yourself this question... How many people would be using computers right now if the only operating system available for the last 15 years had been Unix? I know people that barely know how to Copy, and paste would they have ever stood a chance using computers in a non MS world? Probably not. Microsoft was found to have a Monopoly, and attacked by the government. It really Bothers me that I only have one option for electric power in my neighborhood, or one option for cable service, or one option for water service, yet Microsoft is considered a Monopoly, and these companies are not. I also have found Microsoft to have quite Good customer service. Also over 2 years ago I bought a FF2 Joystick. Without warning a few months ago It just quit working. I called Microsoft Tech support, told them what happened, and they shipped me a Brand new Joystick no questions asked. Complain if you like but without MS we wouldn't be in this forum right now. I mean we are Flying MS filght Sim aren't we?Just an observationAl

Ahhhh, but I think the statement was about the computer industry not Microsoft. :-)I wouldn't want to run any critical systems on MS software either, although I haven't recently had much of a complaint regarding MS software (XP etc..), until CFS3 of coarse. :-)SteveCYYZ

Guest saudi_777

Like I said in my first post, it's better than nothing.... And I do have to admit that MS FS2002 Pro is without a doubt THE best PC Flightsim for Virtual Airlines yet, since it's easy to use and operate (unlike the horrible Fly! menu), and is very much open-ended when it comes to add-ons! :DI guess we all have to agree that nothing is perfect! :)Cheers,