Sign in to follow this  

Perhaps you should have kept Quiet Bill ??

Well, as an employee of a large European medical equipment manufacturer, both imaging and monitoring, I can tell you we have had a very good cardiac monitoring system running on Windows NT 4.1 for 3 years now and have had excellent results with it. And we have recently rolled out our new digital angiographic platform running on NT. No real issues with it, either. And I know that the other 2 of the "Big Three" of digital medical imaging also use the Windows platform for most, if not all, of their systems. Why? Simple, because the NT platform IS stable enough for medical uses and using NT lets us let Microsoft do 60-70% of the basic R&D and lets us concentrate our resources on the application which runs over NT. This also lowers our overall cost for the product. So if you or a loved one is having a cardiac catheterization or angiographic procedure done in the US, chances are excellent that the imaging and monitoring are being done on a MS platform.When we were running on UNIX, every time we rolled out a new version, we had to completely re-write the GUI, essentially re-inventing the wheel every time we had enhancements, bug fixes, etc. This made our cycle time from conception to release months. Now, with NT, that cycle time has dropped to weeks, a really important point where bug fixes are concerned.For the record, I am neither a MS lover or hater. I am a MS realist. They have done some things wrong, IMHO, but they have also done a lot right over the last 20 years.Best Regards, GeraldKMLB