Sign in to follow this  

Something special for England and Wales

Well - yes - 100 pounds is a lot of money for a scenery.but that is up to the publisher to decide the price for what they design.

When all's said and done I'll probably end up buying this as it is fascinating to be able to get a bird's eye view of areas that you're familiar with. However I am a bit disappointed with the image quality in the screenshots, there's a definite blue(?) cast in all of them, this is a particularly bad example:http://www1.getmapping.com/flightsim/scree...arge/nimrod.jpgI guess that getmapping provided their jpeg compressed images for use (such as you see on multimap) which are nowhere near as nice as the original digitised photos. I'd also guess that whatever software is being used to prepare the images into the format needed by the sim isn't doing a good job of maintaining the colours either - despite the fact that greens can be reproduced properly as is proved by the stock textures.Have funFinn

Guest bones

The MS Autogen is random so it just won't mix with photo scenery if you think about it. Autogen trees sitting on lakes and car park lots and autogen buildings sitting on top of railways or roads..You don't have to turn it off - it would just look at bit strange..

I have to say, Bones, that the Red Arrow shot you posted does look very impressive indeed. But some of the other shots I've seen just seem wrong... there's a definite bluish-green hue to a lot of them which looks naff.I'm all for high-detail. I'd love a sim which presents an ultra-high fidelity rendition of the UK, and would even forego the rest of the world if necessary. But I think emergency_pants (great name :-) ) is right. I'll reserve judgment until I see it in action, but this looks like a serious amount of money for not very much product.

Guest bones

I won't dispute it is a serious amount of money for software. Most of us would invest that sort of outlay only on good hardware. However the price definitely puts the product into a specific category in that it will attract serious users only - you would not buy this scenery if you only intended using it once every few weeks or so.The screenshot of the Red Arrow over Old Warden is exactly that - no manipulation other than cropping to remove the FS menu bar.

Nice screenie, Bones; but I think I'll keep the money in my pocket for now (or would, if I had it!). I'll just have to live with the Lago mesh, Taburet Landclass and Lennart's freeware textures; but that leaves me a few Gerrish Gray trees to fly between when I fly low, and an autogen house or two to buzz. Not to mention, snow in the winter ...http://www.swiremariners.com/ukreds.jpg(Sorry about the compression from 1280 to 700 ... but you get the picture)Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/reds.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

Actually Mark shot looks pretty good! I wonder how the lot works with Faber European Textures.Perhaps is wise to go back to uk land class - and see what can be done to improve the scenery - and all comes down to less than 1,5 mb.Ray

Guest emergency_pants

Ray, I hadn't checked out the Faber FScene stuff.. it looks pretty good and at 39 Euro's it's within an affordable price range for me!Can anyone rate this FScene? Is there a review anywhere? And where might I get some improved Landclass?Cheers all... nice screenshots too.Simon.

"I would like to place some 3D buildings on their footprint, particularly on the final approaches to some UK airports/fields. I have no idea or clue how to do that, so would you be able to......"Hi Don,I make my buildings with FS Design Studio. The airfilds are made with Airport and Scenery Desginer from ABACUS. For the buildings you will need a Digital camera. If you haven't got one at present then a cheap version, about

No I shouldn't think this scenery will being using the 'jpeg versions' -some real big money will have to have been exchanged for the GetMapping originals. I talked to GetMapping a couple of times and they had no conception of how flightsimmers would want to use their aerial survey pictures and were only able to think in

I'm waiting for the LAGO version.It's going to be more accurate and a lot cheaper.I heard 30 euros for western Europe!

Most forget that the reason this is expensive is the fact that Getmapping had to spend many, many hours flying over the UK to get these images. They are the ones setting out to get their money back through the licence/s. From what I hear and have seen, its going to be worth every penny, and thats why I've pre-ordered my copy :-)

Alaister Kay

Alaister, Sure it cost a lot of money, but it wasnt done for Flight Simulator, this is a by product of the origanal intention and well spotted by John.I'm sure apart from cost what puts people off, is the fact that the features inaccurate or not included in 2002, are what made people buy the game in the first place. To now have to disable them, not able to fly at night or in the seasons we know and love (G)seems to make the ownership of 2002 a wasted excercise.This is a product ahead of it's time, of that I'm convinced. I would be very interested to know if the "boxed" versions inform the potential user of the limitations mentioned above, would you please let me know ?George