Sign in to follow this  
Guest iholrf

On posting videos and deleting them...

Guest iholrf

What is a video if not a series of screenshots...???Why such a draconian policy? The video posted here by me requires a click to access and costs avsim forums no bandwdith. I pay for the bandwidth from a server that I charge nobody anything for except perhaps a smile. It is a flight from FS about FS with a real world video for reference.Where do you suggest I post the video? Why must a screenshot accompany every post or be summarily deleted? Why would you force the bandwidth usage for such a requirement... either yours or mine...??? This makes no sense. Heck, I voluntarily added screens when I shortened the vid before your rule... nobody asked.. so why now the rule? Why frown on a very interesting post like the DC7 somebody else posted that your users might enjoy... is the enjoyment of your users not your goal?the gauges for my mako project... to satisfy your rule...http://www.ascendant-online.net/images/fli...gauge-stack.png

Hi,I don't post that often, I view daily though. I have been watching this develop and I'm afraid to have to say that I totally agree with iholrf (sorry, but you didn't sign off with your real name...). If avsim feels it necessary to enforce such a strange ruling, then I strongly suggest it offer a new forum "FS videos", as is the case with forums.simflight.com.Let's not get overly heavy-handed here, everyone, or will it be compulsory in future to post a screenshot in reply to a screenshot posting???Keep it real...And if it is not going to be possible to post links to videos, well either create a new forum area or risk losing some of the most talented FS image/filmmakers around to other fora...My two cents' worth...Andrew

Guest Paul Heaney

It comes down to the old saying, If you don't like it, don't use it. It makes perfect sense here. Others, as well as myself want to click here to see Screenshots, not 10 minute videos of your flight, that 9.9 minutes worth we probably don't care about.Perhaps the addition of a Video forum, would be in order, seeing the amount of spam of videos on YouTube lately.

For fear of repeating myself...Avsim has no video forum, but there is obviously some demand from posters. Perhaps a vote is in order, to see exactly how much demand there is...Okay, technically speaking, a screenshot forum is for screenshots. But since there is no forum specifically for moving images (a video is just x screenshots a second, now, isn't it?) and until avsim sets up a video forum, the screenshot forum is the most fitting location. Who thinks differently here is requested to come up with a more fitting suggestion...Perhaps a less sweeping and draconian rule requesting that videos be marked in the topic title accordingly, so that those who wish not to view the video, for bandwidth, aesthetic, or whatever other reasons (hey, it is a free world in my neck of the woods, too) can avoid the post...Given some of the nice stuff being posted by Ed for example, or the amazing VOZ1.2 previews by arktitekt that are running around the web, surely it must be seen as a service of a site considered to be one of, if not THE number one spot for FS-related news, events and posts, to act as a forum for this work as well...Just nitpicking here now, most of the videos posted were well under 10 minutes to my knowledge...That's a few Euros' worth now... I'm stony broke!Andrew

I'm quite happy with the rules as they are actually. :)1. I don't see the screenie forum being flooded with vids because they are a #### of a lot more work that just taking a pic!2. Because there wont be that many made I would rather keep them in the most popular site on the planet (the AVSIM screenies forum) rather than having a separate video forum.3. Having said that I am quite happy with the rule that a screen shot should be provided (If just to advertise your video ..but also to appease those who just want to see screen shots)4. I welcome videos because I tend to screenshot whole fights anyway, but most importantly because of the dimension that is missing in screenshots which is sound! ....such a huge part of why I love aircraft. :)I can't wait to video the PT Tu-154 ...then you will all get to hear (if you wish) the wonderful start up sound ....and those gruff Russian voices! :-hah

regardsEd

My FS9 Videoshttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/edetroit100/holy.gifAMD Athlon 64 3500+, 1024Mb PC3200 DDR, 300Gb HD 256Mb DDR Nvidia 7800 GTX PCI-E, Audigy 2 ZSCH Products Yoke, Pedals and Throttle Quadrant

Guest nem

I view this forum regularly - for the screenshots. And if a posting contains nothing more but a video link, entering this topic has been a waste of time for me.But I agree that other solutions might be better (tagging the subject line for example). Extra subforum? Frankly I don't see the traffic of video postings which would justify this, but this is up to the admins anyway.Regards,http://www.bremmekamp.com/img/misc/avsim.jpg

Guest Daniel Pimentel

OK, what's so awful about posting at least ONE screenshot of the video along with the link? Does it really hurt so much you'd leave the forums altogether?? I mean, you went through the work of recording and editing a video and you're complaining about the intricacies of hitting print screen, pasting and saving?I don't know, it just seems like whining for the #### of it.Daniel P.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpgMember of SJU Photography. [A HREF=http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=9004]Click Here[/A] to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!The official psychotic AA painter. :)

Crew,There's nothing wrong with posting a screenshot to advertise a video.That said as I'm the one who posted the 'DC-7 Video' thread (which has Video in the title and has been viewed 602 times to date - hopefully not by people who didn't expect a video link in the thread), but not the author of it I would have had to make a non related screenshot just to post the thread. That would seem to be a pedantic application of the rules the alternative would have been to deny 602+ people the opportunity to view it.I'm sorry but I don't accept the 'if you don't like it don't stay' philosophy because nothing would change let alone improve.One final word on rules, rules are fine if they are justifiable and if the application of them is consistent. Many will believe that neither of those is the case.... particulary (and this isn't a pop at any individual moderator) some comparatively minor things get jumped on fairly quickly and other more serious things don't. Jackhttp://www.dolphin-star.net/TCA/Paintshop/ybanner_tca_FM.jpgIntel P4 3.06Ghz 533FSB HT| 2GB Corsair 333Mhz PC2700 DDR | Asus P4P800 Deluxe | 2 x 120GB Maxtor ATA-133| Sapphire ATI 9800pro 128MB | Creative Audigy 2

Jack Ford

Guest iholrf

>Hi,>>I don't post that often, I view daily though. I have been>watching this develop and I'm afraid to have to say that I>totally agree with iholrf (sorry, but you didn't sign off with>your real name...). Right you are, sorry, my name is Shad (from Shadow -no guff).CheersShad

Guest iholrf

>It comes down to the old saying, If you don't like it, don't>use it. It makes perfect sense here. Others, as well as>myself want to click here to see Screenshots, not 10 minute>videos of your flight, that 9.9 minutes worth we probably>don't care about.>>Perhaps the addition of a Video forum, would be in order,>seeing the amount of spam of videos on YouTube lately.>>My mom always said.. if you don't like what you're watching turn the channel. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to watch the movie... don't click the link... the choice is yours. Anything else is censorship. I have abided by and complained about no rules in the screenshot forum but this one, only because it makes little sense, with little to support it in the way of logic.Yes the inclusion of a screen is welcome, but so is a simple description of the vid... I can always click "stop" if it bores me. In a "community" the community works together to provide a balanced solution to a problem. In an authoritarian state, the rules are decided based in the whim of the person(s) with power... what sort of system do you want to live and play in?My 2CShad

Guest Paul Heaney

If you think Avsim is a dictatorship, feel free to move on. Personally, I like the way its setup here. I don't like people posting Movies instead of a screenshot, in the screenshot forum.

Guest Ken_Salter

This is the screen shot forum. We have always required that one or more screen shots be in the originating post. We try to enforce this evenly.As to posting video links, it seems to me that nice screen shot(s) of what the video contains may invite more people to view it than now.If anyone has any questions or would like to discuss this further, please PM or email me.Thread closed.