Sign in to follow this  
John_Tavendale

$%^#*@!(#&$^*@ Motherboards

I was testing some scenery I just finished I was going to call Michigan Aerials. I was flying from KPTK to KGRR to test it. I went upstairs to pickup Dog Poop in the yard and when I came back my computer is off. I tried another Power supply and didn;t make a difference. Im guessing the Motherboard is TOAST!! Should I go with a new...Asus?MSI?ABIT?NFORCE?ALI?or VIA chipset?I have a 1400XP AMD and 2100 DDR if that makes a difference. I dont care about on board sound or Network If its there, I'll live with it. But I have cards laying around here somewhere. Thanks for input.CasPS.. Soon as possible... can't stand my wife's puter.

Guest Gregg580

Cas,been using an Abit Kx7-333 for a bit now, with a 2100+ Stable as all out. Just upgraded the bios for a 2600+ for when they come down in price. Never a problem.

Well sure don't buy the same you had that died on you :-)I always had ASUS motherboards and I was very happy with them.ASUS is what I would recomend.Also not haveing on-board sound, video is a good choice. I prefer those separate, would never buy mobo with audio or videoGood luck.Andy

Thanks both of you. Any other preferrences. Whats all the rage about NForce boards.Cas

I just read a VERY interesting article comparing the NForce2 to the VIA333 boards. Very competitive in application, graphics, except if you use the NForce2 onboard graphics available bandwidth is so low the onboard GFORCE2 MX just cant keep up. Put an External GForce 3 in the slot it performs equally with the VIA Board. The bonus is the Sound and LAN onboard which has the lowest CPU usage. Compared to a SoundBlaster Live using 32 voices, the Soundblaster is using 34% of the CPU when the Nforce NVIDIA MAC CPU usage for sound is 3.21% WOW! The same low CPU usage for the onboard LAN is just as impressive. This is where the board shines.EDIT:Also the Nforce pre-fetching capabilities with a Palimino chip (Which also has pre-fetching capabilities is slower than a VIA 266 board with the Palimino AMD. (Just what's been read)Cas