Sign in to follow this  
Justin Toposim

US National Landclass Project

Well for one, this is a free download of a work in progress. I'm sure when the payware package is released it will not be discussed here. Justin is just asking for input from people. FSGenesis also affers a lot of free downloads on their site.I see nothing wrong with his post.Thanks Justin for letting us know about the download!http://members.cox.net/pstepanoff/images/OK_c2.gifPete S

I often wonder.Looks to me as if it is a real line. Will it pass the test of "Would the Free beta been here if I was given the final product away. Fuzzy. It will be a nice enhancement. The "other" has made Illinois much closer to the "past real" Illinois. Like all data, it is limited to the past -- several years in some cases. Makes a difference in growing populations and expansion. Napervillle?We apologize for given our view.You have a nice day and best of luck.BobLearned a long time not to tick-off special people and manager's assistants.

Guest abent

I installed a landclass file for the Pacific Northwest and it seemed to have quite a drastic frame rate hit. Is this common of all landclass files? My puter is capable of about 20 FPS in the Vancouver area with DreamFleet 734. When I installed landclass, the fps dropped to about 15. Thanks, Adam

HI Adam,I haven't noticed any frame rate hit from add-on landclass files and in theory at least there should be little or no effect, since landclass is a "replacement" for and not an addition to existing overhead.There may be some performance degradation as a result of your graphics processor having to display more textures, but that's just pure conjecture on my part.I haven't used all the landclass files out there, but my experience so far is that, properly used, add-on landclass shouldn't have a significant impact on performance, given sufficient computing horsepower to begin with.JustinFSG

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

The Managers can make up their own mind, and I can accept whatever their decision.That is very true! - and we all do so.But do not forget - all those who have been told not do post news or whaterver messages regarding payware products here - will not like this very much.Ray

But Ray--again--the message is regarding a FREE product, not a payware product.There will be an enhanced version that will be payware, but the basic betas will provide nationwide coverage as a free download. It is a FREEWARE product, and will always remain a freeware product, with a future enhanced payware version option.This is pretty standard throughout the software industry. There are numerous products, designated as "lite" or some other nomenclature, that are FREEWARE. The end-user then has an option to upgrade to a "pro" or some other nomenclature, version that is not FREE, with extra features, enhancements. options.Again, this is certainly the moderators' call, but I don't understand all the ruckus about an announcement concerning a FREE download.Justin

Justin - Toposim

Guest racartron

Simmers talk here all the time about payware products. Do they work? What's the FPS penalty? Does the developer provide support? It's broke and won't work. And guess what? The developers get on and answer the questions as well.This particular thread is discussing a freeware beta landclass add-on -- nothing more. But the forum amangers will do what they deem appropriate -- when it's appropriate.Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember what.

Hi Bob,Conversely, just because I am a payware developer, should there be discrimination by being forbidden from posting announcements about free products?Just a thought . . .Justin

Justin - Toposim

This thread has not been locked or deleted........says it all really, don't you think?I'm on your side Justin. I see no harm whatsoever, potential or otherwise, in what you have done. Pretty routine these days, in fact.How about some constructive input from those familiar with the terrain covered by this beta file. I live in Scotland so can't help, but it's great to be able to view a country from virtual airspace while the reality remains so tantalizingly distant from my home...and the landclass file that has brought me that little bit closer has been provided for FREE!Mike :-wave

Ok I do understand - This is Avsim Forum - and they rightfully allow what they like to happen. I'm fully agree - is their site - is their Forum - and it's belong to them.I leave to get the conclusions of this point I raised above - to all those shareware authors which have been told off in the past - and not to post news about payware release - of any kind - other than the forum which has been setup by avsim. If simmers are talking a payware products - that is ok - as it is not the authors itself.We are now waiting Justin's Freeware Usa Land Class Full pack - available for free downloads to all.And to conclude - the matter - let's say it loudly - some can do it - and some can not do it!!Ray