Sign in to follow this  
Justin Toposim

US National Landclass Project

The US National Landclass Project will be initially released at the end of November. This ongoing, constantly evolving project will be tweaked and tuned based on local user input, using the USGS National Land Cover Dataset as a starting point.The US National Landclass Project will be distributed via download from the FSGenesis Web Site, and feature frequent updates, using local end-user reports to fine-tune the coverage. The goal is to produce the most comprehensive and accurate landclass product possible for the continental US, within the constraints of the current FS2002 terrain engine.The US National Landclass Project Beta 1 Preview is now available for free download at http://www.fsgenesis.comThanksJustinFSG

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

Guest Lobaeux4

I had seen some talk of a FSGenesis LandClass file here some time ago. I'm glad to see something about it, I'm defenitely going to be downloading this. Just a question, I haven't gone to the FSGenesis site yet (posted here as soon as I saw this post), but will this product be part of the membership package at FSGenesis?I'll take a look at the website, just a little lazy here, lol.Lobaeux

This is GREAT news! Does this mean that my home city of Tucson, AZ will actually extend out to where it should in FS? If so, sign me up for this one already!

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

HI RyanWell, that's where the end-user input will come in. I'm starting with the National Land Cover Dataset as a starting point.I'll be releasing the initial product sometime around Thanksgiving. Once it's released, I'll have form where you, the local user, can submit a detailed report for further tweaks and tuning. There will be frequent updates incorporating the changes submitted by the local end-users.The local-user input will allow this fine-tuning and the product will eventually evolve into a highly-refined, very accurate, and comprehensive rendition of the United States mainland land cover.I appreciate your enthusiasm!ThanksJustinFSG

Justin - Toposim

Guest rlefebvr

You freak me out.Real mountains where they should be looking like they should and now real cities and fam where they should be.We've come a long way Baby.RonCVA1701

Guest rlefebvr

hmmm, just thought of something. I already have Landclass files for some of the states. Will this over write these or cause any sort of confusion.

HI Ron,To be honest, I really don't know the perfect answer to that at this point. But since this is/will be comprehensive, coast-to-coast coverage, it will be recommended that any other landclass files you may have installed should probably be removed.The answer to that question will probably be a "cross that bridge when we come to it" situation. I'm just beginning to scratch the surface of this landclass stuff myself, so my in-depth knowledge of all the conflict-nuances is still developing at this point.I'm sure that whatever issues might arise will be solvable, or work-around-able, though.JustinFSG

Justin - Toposim

Guest racartron

I have LandClass from Burkhard Renker installed for the USA. I'll install the demo and let y'all know what happens.Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember what.

Guest racartron

Well, nothing blew up when I installed the FSGenesis landclass over Burkhard's. I don't see much difference in the limited time I had before having to move on to some actual work stuff. 8>( I did send Justin a couple screen shots so he could examine any differences. My system is not very happy with screenshot uplaods at the moment and I don't have the time to sort it out.Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember what.

Hi Phil,I just sent you a screenshot. There's a significant difference. I think you were seeing Burkhardt's in both shots. You'll have to rename those files I mentioned in my email to see my stuff, I guess.Justin

Justin - Toposim

Can any of the Avsim Forum Managers explain why Some users are allowed to Post Messages regarding their Payware Products in a Generald Discussion Area of the Forun - and others have been asked to Post their own Payware Products Messages in the Specially Set up for a Fee Forum.I believe this is very unfair toward those who are respecting the rules - It will be nice to have an explanation from the Managers - regarding this matter - and why we are not all the same over here - Clearly stated few weeks ago - by Avsim Managers - that in this Forum Posting regarding Commercial packets are not allowed.Ray

Seems like a good question that needs an answer. Probably, Special rules for special people.? Will this entire thread vanish with a note from the management? Locking it is not the way. Bob