Sign in to follow this  

1600 X 1200 @ 32 Bit

Hi Lindy,I used to run FS2K2 at 1024x768x32 and while I was happy at the time, I had to really tweak up my FSAA settings to give me good, crisp lines which meant a sacrafice with other settings to keep good performance. I tried 1600x1200 and thought I was crazy as I could hardly read the menu but, the overall graphic improvements I saw in the sim were fantastic. Since that day, I never run the sim any lower. I do respect my eye sight so my desktop and other applications all run at a moderate 1024x768 :-)All I can suggest is to give it a shot, worst case, you drop it back down to where you had it originally!Have fun.Mikehttp://www.members.shaw.ca/madamo/boeingsig.jpg

One more thing. You can run your desktop at whatever res you want. Also, remember the 9700 does not do FSAA in 16bit color. You'll see that right away. Running without FSAA just plain looks like crap whatever the resolution. So always run 32bit color no matter what resolution you decide on. IMHO, the higher the res the better.

Guest Lindy

Well, I might give it a try (the 1600 x 1200) res. Although when I'm in Antti's Dauphin chopper, I can't read the instruments NOW! LOL And Larry: Okay, so you got a 22 inch monitor..... that don't impress me much! :-lol (ala Shania Twain) My monitor is a 19" and that's almost too big considering how close I sit to it.-Lindy :-wave

>The bottom line is you too can run FS2002 at what ever >setting makes it look good and still be able to "Read" >you

Mgdbottled:Excellent workaround my friend. Followed your advice and am now in 32 bit mode. I know because when I re-open my cfg file after a session it still reads 1600x1200x32 (and does not revert back to 16 as before). How the heck did you figure that one out?One question re AA: Do you feel there is a difference when at a high res setting such as 1600. The Radeon is great at running AA without too much of a frame hit, but if there is a point of diminishing returns, I rather use the horsepower for something else.Needless to say I'm gona differ to you on that one.Good work!

Mgdbottled:Excellent workaround my friend. Followed your advice and am now in 32 bit mode. I know because when I re-open my cfg file after a session it still reads 1600x1200x32 (and does not revert back to 16 as before). How the heck did you figure that one out?One question re AA: Do you feel there is a difference when at a high res setting such as 1600. The Radeon is great at running AA without too much of a frame hit, but if there is a point of diminishing returns, I rather use the horsepower for something else.Needless to say I'm gona differ to you on that one.Good work!

That wasn't my idea. That suggestion has been posted before. Don't know who originally discovered it. I run with FSAA at 4x and AF at 16x at 16x12x32. You can try different settings in the video card advanced settings if you want. 2xAA may be enough to rid the pic of jaggies and swimming. Don't know as I haven't tried that particular setting. I do like the 16x AF though. Also found that 6xAA isn't necessary as the pic is free from flaws at 4xAA with plenty of power to run at max frame of 20.