Sign in to follow this  

ILS Approach problems

I don't know what I am doing wrong. It has worked correctly for years and I know it is something simple.When I am flying my final approach and I catch the glideslope the plane drops below the guideslope and crashes. I am doing the same thing I have done for years, I think. I hit the guidelsope at the correct altitude, 2600 ft in this instance, the plane turn to the right and when the indicator starts to drop it nose dives and crashes. I am flying at 161 knots, flaps correct. I approach with in autopilot with heading, appr, altitude, and speed on. Always worked before. I have the frequency tuned into Nav 1 and Nav2, for what reason I don't know but I always have.If anyone can help me I would appreciate it. I am tired of crashing. By the way, it really does not matter which plane, 737, 767, etc.Thanks,Denny ONashville, TN

I have about the same problem here for 90% of my jet planes. Seems like it's some FS2002 weird bug. Just that I have not yet crashed into the ground; it dives, reaches a 2,000 fpm descent rate but goes back onto the glideslope after a while. I could be trying to do it at any speed from 140 to 180 knots IAS, full flaps, light tanks, and it happens all the same. For a handful of aircraft, however, they capture the glideslope perfectly without diving... What I could do on a 767-300ER that facilitates perfect glideslope capturing, I do the same on a 767-300 and it just dives all the same :-hmmm One thing, though, my approach speed is always below 160 knots, more like 150 knots maximum (when I'm not trying to find out at what speed the plane won't dive), well, maybe except when I fly the Concorde!Kitty MercuryCathay Pacific Virtual Pilot (CX252)

It's actually not a bug. Try Johan's B744 airfile, it intercepts beautifully even if you intercept the glideslope at 190 knots when you are supposed to do so at about 160.

You must have just come from the MelJet forum :-lol I am talking about any plane; how would it look to have 747 flight dynamics on a 737 :-lolKitty MercuryCathay Pacific Virtual Pilot (CX252)

Try controlling throttle manually. When she dips give her some power.BobG

It was the speed. Put her at 170 and flew straight in. For some reason I was hitting the G/S at 148-155 and I don't know why. I think you have to be in that 160-180 window for the G/S to work here. Anyway thanks for the input. Denny O

the lower the speed,the easier it should intercept the glideslope

Hi everyone, I spoke to a retired Canadian Airlines 747 Capt yesterday and he told me a proper speed for intercepting the G/S would be more like 190 to 200 Knts . He said 160 or 170 is definitely too slow ,especially since depending on weight, the landing speed would be around 150 to 160 knts. I have spoken to lots of flight simmers and the consensus is it

I5 13600KF 5.1GHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 12G| | MSI Z690 Tomahawk DDR4 WiFi MB | M.2 NVMe SSD"s 2X1TB/2X2TB / HDD's 3X4TB and 1X8TB | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 64 Pro 

yep there is definately a bug,the planes dip and never recoverfortunately i have found a real nice 737 which intercepts beautifully no matter what speed you do, 160+ias

Yes, a few planes simply capture the glideslope perfectly even if you are way too fast, or way too slow! :-(Come to think of it... If I am approaching Hong Kong, my airspeed would actually be 180 knots when I capture the glideslope, because I'm not allowed to go any slower than that, but then otherwise I mess up easily if I go too fast.Kitty MercuryCathay Pacific Virtual Pilot (CX252)

Denny O,I usually capture glideslope from below, about 20 miles out, somewhere between 5000' and 6000' above ground level, speed about 200knots. It sounds like you are doing everything properly. Is this glideslope at a familiar airport ?? Not all glideslopes can be 'captured'. ILS 'Precision' glideslopes can be captured, LOC 'localizer' glideslopes must be hand flown. The panel display is the same for both types.Hope this helps,Bob

You never mention *how* you capture G/S. If you attempt to capture G/S without already having captured the localizer, you will have problems. Also, you *must* capture G/S from below, rather than from above.

There is no bug. The problem is usually the amount of fuel you are carrying. When you arrive at your destination airport, how much fuel are you carrying?I had exactly the same problem before I read elsewhere about the fuel level. If you've got more than about 10% fuel on finals, your approach speed is going to have to be much higher, then you'll fly the approach OK. If you try flying at 160 kts with more than 10% fuel, there is not enough lift, and you dive without ever recapturing the glideslope.With FS2000 this did not appear to be a problem, but it is now modelled in. Therefore, it's not a bug, it's more realistic!Try planning your fuel quantity so that you arrive at your destination with 10% fuel. Alternatively, save your flight just before finals, then fly it as you have been doing. Next repeat after altering your fuel at the same point to 10%. Check out the difference!