Sign in to follow this  
Guest gasebah

No axis in FS2002 for cowl flaps?

Guest gasebah

Hi,after I got my 2 engine prop quadrant I ended up with a lot of unused axis' in my home cockpit. So I wantd to assign the cowl flaps to them, only to learn that there is no directX command in FS2002 for them. Is there a way to do it anyway?Alex

Mike Stone's C-46 came with working cowl flaps and even a cowl flap control. Other than moving, I'm not sure it really does anything. I hope that helps somehow.

I think the only way to control the cowl flaps is via a keyboard command... I am getting a Hagstrom Keyboard Encoder and will be using a toggle switch to control mine. For a list of keyboard command you can check out Pete Dowson's site, or get the Panels SDK from M$ for a list of commands.Chris

Guest gasebah

Chris,I found a solution. I have an old CHProducts USB Yoke. I extracted all the interiors (I do not use the yoke since I have my AETI). With the CHControlManager you can assign multi key strokes to the small levers. It works!! I use it to control the cowl flaps in FSD's Seneca. BTW they seem to be functional.Alex

Alex,<<>>Yes they are somewhat functional as far as is possible to cheat and make it work within the limitations in FS. For now the cowl flaps in the Seneca are assigned to the cowl flap command in FS2002, but there is some discussion of changing them to work like the Commander 115. The Commander went one better by assigning the cowl flap motion to the Airbrake command. This means that in the Commander you CAN assign an axis to operate the cowl flaps with the FS2002 assignments. It also means that in the Commander you also get a slight amount of drag and pitching movment that would accompany the opening and closing of the cowl flaps. I found this out because I had an airbrake axis built in to my cockpit, and everytime I lowered the cowl flaps with the mouse after a while they would mysteriously retract on their own. So be aware that not all third party planes use the default commands from within FS. It may be good for you to know this if someday you are having a tough time figuring out why you cannot get some thing to work in your cockpit. Happy Flying!http://www.ktone.org/images/FSD_ken.jpg

Guest gasebah

U ya know sometimes it is though when you are building a homecockpit. Thx fr the pointer. I also figured that the De-Ice meter of the Seneca is not working when u enable the pitot heat and the prop de-ice with the original FS commands. Structural de-ice is not working at all with the keyboard command. I would be very grateful if u guys cold cover this stuff in a readme.Alex