Sign in to follow this  

New F86 - Sabre - First FSDS 2.0 design?

I'm not much in to military aircraft, but I do have a few I consider classics. I've always loved the look of the F-86, which is certainly in the classic category.Now there's an entry in the file library, which is mentioned as being an FSDS 2.0 design. Since FSDS 2.0 has yet to be released, I have to assume it was a beta or an advanve copy? Back to the subject--this F-86 is nice. It has full reflections, and now beats the MU-2 as the most framerate friendly reflective aircraft I've tried. This one had no impact on my fps--a tall feat considering I have a lowly P3/800.Here's the link to it in Avsim's library... Check it out, and tell me what you think!(Note... I found the FDE a bit twitchy. Made a few minor changes: increased pitch stability, increased the pitch MOI, and increased elevator and aileron effectiveness. Took but a few seconds, and now I can fly a few feet off the deck at 500kts)... http://ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?C...02ac&DLID=22171

The FSDS V2 beta-users have been allowed to release their freeware projects to the public.For those that do not know, FSDS V2 uses the speedy new floating-point BGL OP codes. Any performance advantages that Gmax had over FSDS, should not longer hold true. BTW, I am not affiliated with FSDS, nor am I a beta-user. I am just passing on the information.Cheers,Allen

I have to add, that looking at the model with reflections, it looks like a GMAX model, but performance w/reflections is considerably improved over anything I've seen with GMAX. I have to say I'm impressed, and I can't wait to see what impact FSDS 2.0 has on the type and quality of the freeware aircraft released.-John

Does it have a DVC, John? I didn't see mention of that in the specs. And if so, how does it look? I'd check it out myself, but I'm a prisoner at work for a few more hours. I always liked the Sabre too... a very classy looking early jet.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

No DVC I'm afraid, but I was surprised to find dynamic wing and tail views... It's a worthy download for the external visuals, I think...-John

I'll have to post my changes a bit later... I'm away from home at the moment...Since I just Dl'd it last night, haven't found a panel yet. Obviously it'll be a steam gauge panel... :) A quick search in google shows a few FS98/F-86 a/c panel/combos. Might be able to extract a panel from one of those. I'm going to take a look at a few tonight...-John

My first reaction is that this airplane is incorrectly labeled. It's called a "D" model. The D had radar (D for Dog nose). It may be an E model, but I'm not in a position to look it up for sure.

"My first reaction is that this airplane is incorrectly labeled."Happens sometimes.... Still good work for something we don't have to pay for... Edit the aircraft.cfg and change the label...

I changed five settings in the aircraft.cfg...I added 100,000 to the pitch MOI...I added a section, and created these entries:elevator_effectiveness=2.0aileron_effectiveness=2.0pitch_stability=3.0And last, I lowered the thrust in the engine section to 18,000....Although the real F-86 has just a 7,000+ thrust engine, lowering the thrust to that value really kills the power of the aircraft. But I'm still playing around with that. The FDE could probably use a bit more tweaking, but I'm satisfied for now...I've had my fun...

I wasnt impressed with the aircraft. I think Gmax does a better job of reflection properties. The textures look too grainy, and they are out of alignment. But hey, thats MHO.

I think the issue with the textures has less to do with GMAX, and more to do with the author using 512x512 bitmaps vs. 1024x1024. I opened one up to look at the alpha channel the other day, and found that the smaller texture was used.

This looked like a fun aircraft to tinker with - particularly as the F86 is my favourite aircraft.I thought I would see how well the FSDS2 aircraft would handle my slightly heavy hand at reflective effects. So I tinkered just a titch with the textures.The master textures I created are of course a bit heavy in the reflective effects - but I will now tinker with a real livery with a bit of shine here and there - nice fun this one.Need to find Ray Lopez's e-mail address - it is not in his readme.txt file - I would like to request his permission to release some textures for his F86RegardsGarry J. Smith at http://www.gjsmith.comAircraft Texture Tinkererhttp://www.gjsmith.com/images/GJS-banner.gifhttp://www.gjsmith.com/html/Personal/Images/Raaf-s.gif RAAF Retired