Sign in to follow this  
MKaprocki

realistic TCAD anywhere?

While the FSFlightmax system has TCAS (real world and sim world), most GA planes have a more modest system (if any at all!). Does anyone know of a realistic TCAD gauge for GA? ThanksDavid

There's a TCAS in the avsim file library, but it may be more suitable for heavy jets. If you can't find anything else, you could use that one.

Guest DreamFleet

Yup, that's another TPAS that is available.As to TCAD. Oh yeah, just seeing tons of those Ryan TCAD units being installed in Archers and Cardinals, along with weather radar and flight directors. :-eekI think we'd do something that you would "realistically" expect to see in most light aircraft, and that would be a TPAS. The Ryan TCAD costs between $4,995 to $13,850 without installation. Believe it or not, these are not yet items that you will see in the average GA aircraft. Yes, they will appear in some, when the owner has tons of money to spend, and has already put in twin Garmin 530s, for another $32,000, but I prefer we deal with what would be realistically found in MOST light GA aircraft, not in one out of a thousand.http://www.avweb.com/articles/ryantcad.htmlThe TPAS units sell for under $1,000, and as such these are more affordale to most GA aircraft owners. That's why I figured David meant TPAS not TCAD, as the former is more realistic to see in the majority of these types of aircraft. Even then, TPAS is still not common.Of course, for most GA aircraft pilots, TPAS or TCAD still means: turn head and look, and that still remains the most realistic, at least for now. ;-)I'll see if our Nick Jacobs can whip one together. A TPAS that is.Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F..._FORUM_LOUE.jpg

I think any of these would be great additions to the next GA release (hint hint Lou ;-)). My brother's Malibu has the same unit that is in Geof's Debonair - essentially a radar detector type thing. I haven't seen the Ryan unit before but for <$1000, it seems like a good deal. It's amazing how close I've come to planes in the practice area (real world). No near misses or anything but still sobering when a plane seems to come out of nowhere. And Ithaca isn't exactly busy airspace!David

Incidently, I discovered that one of our 172s has the Ryan TCAD in it. I've yet to fly it, but I know that the instructor must have training with it before he is allowed to use that airplane.Matt