Sign in to follow this  

Drinking and Simming?

This thread, humor aside, confirms a theory I have had about flight simmers. Admittedly, this may be an over generalization. We tend to be loners when we sim. It is a solitary addiction...probably healthier for your mental health than the "other" solitary addiction. Still, the idea of people glued to their computer screens simming and drinking alone strikes me as something less than healthy. Drinking alone is anti-social...and perhaps borderline alcoholic. Drinking and simming compounds the problem. I think those who are in this position need to look deeply inside themselves and their lives and get to the root of what may be a problem. Sorry if I have offended anyone. EORSherm

Never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I just take the medicine the doctor has prescribed for me!!!!!!He said "a bottle of my call sign a day will help keep the undertaker away". I always follow my doctors advice!

Guest Joe

Sherm,I can tell from your post that you have, indeed, given this a lot of thought...a theory, even, about drinking and simming!No flame from me. But, would you mind if I have a little smile over it? :)I can't help it...I just have to laugh!!! :-xxrotflmao

Guest abent

Yes sir, Mats! Love that Keiths! Lots of it here in Canada as you know. My fridge always has a few in it. I think I'll go get one now. I can tell you are a man of taste!

Sorry to disagree guys but for me it's a simulation and I take it fairly seriously. Admittedly I will crank up fs on coming home from dining out and having a couple but I would never drink and sim from the outset. Who would play chess, for instance, under the influence and claim " it's only a game"LOL, I would...It's all about how you spend your free-time. Playing FS2002 is my "Free-Time."I'll enjoy it with a nice frosty cold one or 12.Lando

Still, the idea of people glued to their computer screens simming and drinking alone strikes me as something less than healthy.Maybe, maybe not... If it's the only thing you do, then I would agree, but I do plenty of other things in my life, that I'm not too concerened at the moment.Lando

Drinking and swimming?I've heard it's a bad idea. Over-adventure plus cramp equals trouble.*burp*

Guest Smiley

It depends on the length of the flight :), but water is my drink of choice :(

Guest ssurjap

I drink Dr. Pepper. Heck, I've got Dr. Pepper running through my veins :).

I expected to get a variety of replies to this post, but this definitely wins the award for originality. Sherm, I believe the difference between a sim alcoholic and a recreational sim drinker goes beyond simply cozying up to an adventure in flight simming by yourself with your beverage of choice. I think the very fact that we are (virtually) here together means that we are not withdrawn drunk shut-ins. Rather, we participate in a hobby which, by definition, is one man with one computer. Is this really any different that watching Monday Night Football with a sixer? Or reading the Journal while sipping a Port? While I'm sure we have a statistical representation of alcoholics in the roughly 8,000 registered users of AVSIM, the mere fact that one sims (alone) and drinks does not damn him (or her) to being labeled a solitary alcoholic.I certainly do NOT take offence to your remark, however I believe the reasoning behind your statement is without any legs.

Well when you're trying to do something as nervewracking as land a heavy jet full of passengers, surely you need at least 16 pints to steady the nerves (and the hands). It's just as well there's no queue for the toilet as there could be on a real plane.Hic.

>Is this really >any different that watching Monday Night Football with a >sixer? Or reading the Journal while sipping a Port? yeah, only simming isn't a spectator sport or passive like reading. u need yore motor skills and a bit of quick thinking nein? pp

Well AdamLooks like I have to visit your fridge next time I'm around! :-lolSee you around!