Sign in to follow this  
kevinc5

I need one very important piece of advice!!! Please!!!

Hello Gang!I am getting ready to migrate from Windows-ME to Windows-XP Pro. Here is my computer rig:Intel P4 1.7 Ghz512 MB of RD-RAM PC-80080GB Ultra ATA 7200 RPM 2MB Cache Hard Drive40GB Ultra ATA 7200 RPM 2MB Cache Hard DriveSoundBlaster Live Platinum sound cardGeForce-2 Ultra 64MB Video card running with the 12.41 driversBoston Acoustics Premium sound systemLogitech wireless mouse and keyboard comboCH USB Pro Pedals and FlightSim Yoke (3 lever)Suncom SFS Split throttle assembly (Waiting for CH's next year)22" Gateway VX-1120 Super-VGA flat monitorHere's my questions:1. After migrating to Windows-XP Pro, should I do a clean re-installation of FS-2002 and go through the purgatory of re-installing every addon released for the last 12 months or so? Can I back my current installation on to CD's and move it all back once XP is installed?2. Are there any recommendations on general settings with XP that might help me get off the ground with a little bit less headaches than some of my colleagues here in the forums?Thanks for any helps folks!Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullerthttp://www.aavirtual.com/images/aav205_banner.gif[/img]

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Dennis - Absolutely, positively, and without doubt, the best thing you could do is format one of the drives, install WinXP clean, and reload the software. Don't try to "upgrade" over ME. That said, if you don't want to reinstall FS2002, you can just copy the entire installation to the other drive (if it's not there already) and then copy it back. You'll be missing the Registry entry but that can be manually added. After you have installed XP, and BEFORE you add ANY other software, update the OS with SP1. (I'd download the entire SP1 update before changing the OS just so it's there when needed.) By doing a clean install and the SP1 update up-front I don't think you'll have any real problems. But, once again, absolutely, positively, and without doubt, the best thing you could do is format one of the drives and install WinXP clean. Don't try to "upgrade" over ME.Trip

Dennis, I would indeed do a complete FDISK and reformat for winxp espically the pro.Also with winxp pro I would use the NTFS file system and not fat 32.It's faster and much more secure.Back up everything you have and just wipe it all out.It's the only way to get the true performance of a win2k style kernel as much of a pain as it is it is worth it. After you get XP installed get all the win xp updates before installing games and software then you should be running smooth.Turn off any services that you will not need with XP.In win2k I actually only use 16 services out of the 30 that are on by default.This will free up alot of system memory .Do a disk defrag before you start Fs2002 the first time and of course turn off any anti virus software. Good luck Capt.Richard Dillon (KATL)www.jetstarairlines.com"Bill Grabowski's"ERJ-145 panel Beta TeamMD-11 panel Beta Team-----------------------PAI beta team -----------------------"Lets Roll" 9/11 -----------------------Specs AMD 1600 XP MSI KT 266t pro2 512MB DDR 2100GF3 ti 200 64MB SBliveCh Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3

Dennis,I don't have WinXP but I have been reading on the subject on this forum - there are quite a few people here who just upgraded from WinMe/98SE with no disk reformat, no re-install and they are doing just fine. Obviously the usual defrag, etc. applies. I thought you may want to have a balanced opinion on the subject.Michael J.

Hey Gang!Thanks for your advice. Your advice re-informces a lot of what I have read in the forums. I have spent a tremendous amount of time adding stuff to my FS2002 installation and I think that I am going to go the route of backing it up in 15 or 16 CD's and putting it all back once I have down the complete re-install to XP Pro.One question though! Can someone point me to what the registry items should be that I have to manually enter afterwards?Thanks again!Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullerthttp://www.aavirtual.com/images/aav205_banner.gif[/img]

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Guest Bob I

If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It.... Please come back in a day or two or three or four, and read this again, and let me know how you feel. Best of luck.Bob IAlias=layabout

I just made the switch to XP. The XP installation CD gives the option of a reformat and clean install..that's the way to go. I also had the good fortune of having my WIN98 installation backed up to a USB2 hard drive. I still had to reinstall most of my programs but that made restoring settings, documents, FS 2002, etc a piece of cake.