Sign in to follow this  
Guest flightpro08

Processors For FS2002

I Want to upgrade my motherboard. But not sure which to run Pentium 4 OR Athlon/Duron. Does FS2002 Run better on one processor than the other? Any input would help.Thanks GKJR.

Guest flightpro08

Any "new" AMD or Pentium 4 will run FS2k2 fairly well. Being a huge fan of both AMD and Intel (rare eh? ;-) ) I really don't have any kind of grudge against either company, and view a new processor two different ways.AMD Athlon: Great processor. I highly recommend the 2200+, the 2400", or even the new 2600+. AMD is the way to go if you're on somewhat of a budget, as they're stuff is quite a bit cheaper than Intel for the most part (though, that's been changing lately with Intel price cuts.)Intel (Pentium 4): If you're not on a budget, then I highly recommend the new 3.06GHz processor. It uses a new technology from Intel called "Hyperthreading." The performance incearse using the technology is huge (something like 40%) over previous Pentium 4's. The Pentium 4 2.8GHz CPU is also a great choice.Overall, if you're on a budget, go with AMD. If you're a little bit more open on price, go with Intel. Both are great companies, and make awesome stuff. Though, the Pentium 4's are quite a bit faster now (up around 1GHz faster that AMD in most cases, though, that's a little deceaving as AMD uses different technology.) Also, one more thing. If you're going to get a new motherboard and CPU, make sure to get other "up to date" specs (fast RAM, good viceo card, etc.) If you go cheap on one of these other components, you'll severely bottleneck your new CPU, and will probably be less than happy with your results. I highly recommend one of the GeForce 4 Tixxx video cards and some good PC2700 RAM (or if you can afford it and are getting a Pentium 4 CPU, then some nice RDRAM.) Hope this helps and good luck with the new system. :-)Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Senior Controller (C-3)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com|Taxiwaysigns.com] Scenery Designer-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 30.30 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298-----------------------------Click [link:ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=&Author=Ryan+Fretwell&CatID=Root]Here to Download my New American Eagle POSKY CRJ-200!

>Intel (Pentium 4): If you're not on a budget, then I highly >recommend the new 3.06GHz processor. It uses a new >technology from Intel called "Hyperthreading." Unless I missed something this 3.06 GHz CPU is not yet available. And if we talk about hardware that is not yet available there is AMD's Hammer coming in a few months ..And whether hyperthreading will have any *measurable* benefit for FS2002 - we better wait and see.At this moment Falcon Northwest (and they know their business) recommends Athlon 2800+ (hypertransport) as the fastest gaming platform.Michael J.

I have a AMD Atholon 900Mhz and I am pretty happy with it. So far so good, the only thing is that need to buy a faster chip, but to me AMD is good l like there chips. AMD gets my vote! hope this helps

Guest PaulL01

>Unless I missed something this 3.06 GHz CPU is not yet >available. And if we talk about hardware that is not yet >available there is AMD's Hammer coming in a few months .. Hammer! :)>And whether hyperthreading will have any *measurable* >benefit for FS2002 - we better wait and see. >>At this moment Falcon Northwest (and they know their >business) recommends Athlon 2800+ (hypertransport) as the >fastest gaming platform. XP27 and 28's are also "not yet available" but you can place an order for one and wait or... you can go ahead and plunk your cash down on a good p4 2.8 and it will run 5-10% faster than the XP2800 on most simulation games like FS2k2 (as easily verifed based on 333-FSB KT333 or KT400 MB)

Guest flightpro08

>Unless I missed something this 3.06 GHz CPU is not yet >available. And if we talk about hardware that is not yet >available there is AMD's Hammer coming in a few months ..Indeed. Intel's 3.06GHz CPU is not available yet, sorry if I mislead anyone. As for Hyperthread. It's been up in the air for awhile whether or not it will really provide the preformance increases Intel says it will. Though, I'm fairly confident I will provide some type of boost. AMD's Hammer should be great as well, and might be my next processor. But who knows. ;-) Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Senior Controller (C-3)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com|Taxiwaysigns.com] Scenery Designer-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 30.30 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298-----------------------------Click [link:ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=&Author=Ryan+Fretwell&CatID=Root]Here to Download my New American Eagle POSKY CRJ-200!