Sign in to follow this  

airshow routines

I want to try a fast pased airshow routine any one have a suggestion?

Guest RiddlePilot

Just wing it dude...no pun intended ;)

Ok I have tried that and it works but now I want somthing different

HiWhat type of plane are you flying in ?Airshow routines are designed to show the plane at it's best and demonstrate it's abilities.The routine for a glider is not the same as for a Pitts.A routine is first planned on the ground then flown at height to find out the connections that are difficult or just plain don't work.The routine is then modified and practiced again and again. When it is being flown consistantly the height is lowered gradually until the required display height is reached.When planning a routine there are some points to take into account.1. Gate heights and speeds. these are your safety margins, so if you complete one figure you would know what speed you should have and what height you should have to start the nest figure. If these values are not met the routine is changed, the figure thrown away and replaced. Again these changes have been decided in the planning and prectice stage. If done properly no one on the ground would notice.Wind .. The wind will have a dramatic effect on the routine and is refered to as either 'on crowd' or 'off crowd' or blowing you towards the crowd or away from the crowd. Let's say you do a vertical figure, as you go up your speed decreases and the wind drift increases. if not allowed for it could push you over the crowd...not good or make it hard to get the next figure on the correct line. Also the wind will effect you when flying away from the crowd in say a flat turn or a 45 degree line to turn back for a run down the runway. The off crowd wind will mean you cover more ground in less time and you would end up nowhere near the runway when you turn back. The on crown wind means less distance covered in the same ammount of time and when you turn back you would be over the crowd again. The time has to be adjusted for the wind.Display lines. The main line, say runway centre line is called the display axis (A). draw a 45 degree line from this away from the crowd and this is called the B axis. You see this used for wingovers , the C axis is straight at the crowd. The Centre point of the display is the Datum and this is the centre of the crowd line.So, work out what you plane can do, draw up a routine, go practise at height, make changes, get it safe then lower the height slowly.also have a standby display for bad weather, low cloud base, called a flat display...no vertical figuresEnergy management.... crucial for displaying lower powered planes. you have to plan your routine to use the energy achieved from a dive to it's best .. hard turns 'G' cause drag and you lose energy without any hieght to recharge it by diving. In this situation the routine is planned so that the initial dive charges the plane with energy, then the pilot trades speed for more hieght and visa versa. this is a skill that needs good hands to make the display look interesting. These routines are normally split into sections.. first the vertical figures... loops etc then as the trade of height and speed becomes impossible stage two is rolling figues... then fly pasts...and so onthat's enough of that.... hope it helpsJohn

I will be in the SU29 red and I have just got done flying the SU29 red and the zlin 50LS and it flies great the only the thing I dont like about it it stalls to easly