Sign in to follow this  

Norton Systemworks 2003 - Installed successfully - Than

Thanks for your advice.I cleaned out my registry, used Syclean and Editall.Full install, couldn't install all of the updates.Service Pack 1 interferred with one update installation. Any suggestions or solution appreciated.Jim Alcorn

JIm - Got any specifics on what didn't install and what the SP1 issue is? - Trip

Thanks for replying Trip.The info I have is this:Windows XP 5.1 2600 Service Pack 1 Norton Systemworks 600.0.50.Do I need to uninstall service Pack1, dnld and install the updates, and then reinstall service pack 1?Do You know how to do this?Again, thanks for your assistance.Jim Alcorn

You gotta work me through this Jim. It's been a tough day :-) . Is it the Norton updates that won't install? Those downloaded after the initial NSW install? Or is it a WinXP update that won't install due to some SP1 issue? (I can't see any relationship between NSW updates and SP1.) Or have I just missed the boat completely? Trip

Thanks again for sticking with me on this.All of the Norton updates except the Norton Systemworks updateinstalled okay.Thanks.Jim

Well, there's nothing with SP1 that I can think of that would cause the Norton update to fail. I've installed NSW 2003 on this system with SP1 updated with no problems. More likely there is still a piece of the 2002 NSW install left somewhere in the Registry. If you're SURE it's SP1, and if you opted to save the SP1-generated backup files, you can undo SP1 through Add/Remove Programs.Trip

Hi again,NU Update install failed.I'm not sure service pack 1 is the problem.Thank for your help.Jim

Guest WorkingStiff

If you have your antivirus software running turn it off before installing any software. Ideally you should reboot your computer, turn off all running (processes) programs including anti-virus, install your software, then reboot.I've just completed installing Norton Antivirus 2003, Norton Utilities 2002, Norton Speed Disk, and Norton Ghost 2003 with no problems. I ran the Live Updates to get the latest revisions and it worked flawlessly.If you still can't get it to work maybe you should try installing from Safe Mode. To get to Safe Mode, press F8 during the boot-up process.I'm running Windows XP Corporate with Service Pack 1 installed.

Error 14 Enable long pathnames in XP Home.Do you know how to do this?Thanks.Jim Alcorn

jim,thou i've still got sys works2002, i a have "played " a bit with norton, and if you go to symantecs web site and use their troubleshooting tools you'll probably find the answer. i think there IS a conflict with prior norton software, and you'll probably be instructed to remove ALl norton, then edit registry and reinstall the 2003 software. try using a phrase like;"unabel to install systemworks update" and see what their response will be. ain't computin' fun? tom t