Sign in to follow this  
Guest RonB49

Mouse Wheel = Trim Wheel?

Ever since I got my first "wheel mouse," I've wondered if there might be a way to assign the elevator trim functions to the wheel in MSFS. Since so many aircraft use a wheel to set elevator trim, this just seems like a natural to me.Has anyone successfully done this? Is it even possible? If no, how do I do it? If not, why not?Thanks in advance!PRPete "PapaRomeo" RafleSpringfield, Virginia, USA

Guest brewmaster

Although I do not have my mouse set up like that my guess would be that you can. I have a keyboard with a scroll wheel built-in to it and Flight Sim automatically defaulted to it as a trim wheel. My mouse wheel is handy for increasing/decreasing autopilot and radio values so I have not tried swtiching it over. Perhaps you can change somthing in the controller set-up menu. If not, you could try using windows to change the function of the mouse wheel to a variety of different functions and see if flight sim recognizes it as trim. Jst a few thoughts...Good luck.Brewmaster

Thanks, Brewmaster. I'll dig a little deeper in the "Assignments" menus and see what happens. Encouraging that MSFS recognized the wheel as a rotary controller...I'll report back if I can get this to work.PR

Guest RonB49

You can do it right now, but not exactly as you ask. Place the mouse pointer (it will be the hand with a + or a - in it) over the pitch trim wheel of most aircraft and spin away. The trim goes up and down just like you would expect. Some planes (777, for example) require that you position the mouse pointer over the pitch trim scale not the wheel. I hope that this helps. R-

Guest Calb

Same here Ron -- it's always been that way. You can use it to change radio freqs and adjust heading and altitude bugs. As you say, in each case the pointer must be resting on the appropriate selecting point.Calhover long and prosper

Well, look at that. You learn something every day. Guess I should have checked the help file before posting this one.... :-badteethUnfortunately, I like to fly almost exclusively in the 3-D virtual cockpit, and I wish I didn't have to switch to the 2-D panel to trim this way. It would be really nice to be able to assign the trim function to the wheel all the time... Still, being able to tune the radios and adjust the OBS/Heading bug etc. with the mouse wheel is great! Thanks for pointing it out to me.Happy landings,PR

Yes, The mouse wheel 'knob adjuster' is truly one of the most useful built-in features that no one knows about. I'm glad you've discovered this great function! As for the trimwheel, it would be entirely possible to build your own controller for such a purpose. There are many tutorials about building your own game controllers. However, if you really want a trim wheel, but don't have the time or the skills to invest in a project of that sort, you can always get a Saitek X45/X36. They have two rotary dials, cleverly located on the throttle controller. I've had mine for nearly a year now, and I love it. the only problem I've had is with the rudder control, which never centers properly. However, this is easily solved by calibrating with FSUPIC, and tricking the drivers by off-setting the center.

On the subject of trim, I had an extra lever on my CH yoke that was unused so I decided to assign it to elevator trim. It seemed like a really slick idea but with it set up this way the autopilot could not hold altitude. The pitch trim axis kept interfering with it. I think a trim wheel would be great, the only off the shelf one I know of is the Go Flight one built in to the landing gear/flap/trim panel, and I hear it is great.http://www.ktone.org/images/FSD_ken.jpg

Guest rlefebvr

*******, why did I not think of that.....RonCVA1701

Guest RonB49

Yo Pete,Sorry that this is late getting posted but I waited until I had time to confirm it so as not to misspeak. My CH Products Flight Sim Yoke USB has a good-sized vertically-oriented thumbwheel on the front of the housing and just to the left of the yoke. By default that is configured as elevator trim. I have not used it much but now that you have reminded me that it is there, I'll give it a try. R-