Sign in to follow this  
michal

Will Microsoft fix our DARK planet ...???

Guest Terblanche

Maybe there is a way around it

Guest guyjr

I usually carry around a big ol' Mag light and shine 'er out the window. Of course, you have to be flying quite low to illuminate the mountains and rivers with just the right amount of light.:-beerchug :-scatter :-cool :-halo

Terblanche:A partial solution for me that has worked well has been simply to adjust the brightness of my monitor. After several attempts I have arrived at an overall setting that brings out many of the night details [runways now with some texture, visible landscape, more than a shadowy outline of my aircraft in flight, ability to detect the clouds in the distance]. In addition it has enhanced the impact of night scenery textures in and around cities and towns.Try tweaking the monitors brightness. It may work well for you.Hope this helps. Rick

I have to say I don't get the same darkness trouble that you seem to explain. It could be your video card or possibly your contrast/brightness setting on your monitor. Another thing that I find really helps is to fly in a darkend room at the times you discribe. I find that makes a big difference. I know its not much but I hope that helps.http://www3.telus.net/dport1/dansig.jpg

You might want to get outside of cities and towns once in a while.It can get extremely dark when there is no artificial light, especially when there is no visible moon due to the phase of the moon or cloudcover.Indeed, it can be dark enough that you cannot see anything at all.I find FS to be not too dark at all, but rather quite realistic.What you want to do is turn off the lights in your room when flying in the dark (and close the curtains too if you're doing so during the (non-virtual) daytime.That way your eyes can adjust themselves and pick up smaller differences in illumination.If you have to read charts etc., a light with a deep red filter can serve you well.

JT is right.. It takes a while in a darkend room to get used to it, and not forget the moon.It is remarkably darker with no moon.Johan[A HREF=http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk]Phoenix Simulation Software[/A]-----http://www.people.zeelandnet.nl/johdUnofficial PSS Website

Although FS obviously doesn't have built in brightness settings, you can use a program called PowerStrip to force gamma adjustment to any application. Thus you can make FS as bright as you prefer. I use it and wouldn't be without it. The FS world is definitely too dark by default though.

Not sure if I got it right but on the subject of night flying - I find FS nights still too bright. If there is no Moon - the Sky should be absolutely black (almost) but in FS2002 I find it to be very dark blue instead. Not very realistic. I want fully black nights !Michael J.

Guest Terblanche

JonasGrumbyThanx for the observation about the brightness of FS2002 and that I was NOT talking about night time ... but simply 10 am or 3 pm in the afternoon. It is far too dark! Where do I get PowerStrip?Thanx for the advice to set the brightness of the monitor by someone. I will try that as well.T;-)

You should be able to find PowerStrip at either Tucows.com, Download.com, or 3DGuru.net - as a last resort try doing a search on Yahoo for download sites.What you do is make a display profile for FS2002 and assign a gamma value to increase brightness. Powerstrip will run in the background and boost FS2002 brightness until you exit back to the desktop.

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

I think our fellow simmer here talks about Dusk and Dawn darkness...And I agree, FS2002 is way too dark during dusk and dawn.I'll give you an example. Date 21Sep, Time 1630 LT (Athens, UTC+3).The sun outside shines and and it's so bright. Same Date/Time in FS2002 and it looks like it's already 2030!!!George DorkofikisAthens, Greece

>I think our fellow simmer here talks about Dusk and Dawn >darkness... I don't see it from the posts above but you may have a point about sunrise/sunset times being off. I did not check it but it is possible - the whole calendar and the Earth rotation may be just bogus. But please don't tell me anyone that nights in FS are too dark, they are in fact too light ....Michael J.