Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kurt

I GOT IT, I DID IT, I GOT IT!!!!!

But what a struggle. What's he blethering about?Why, Thunder Bay, Ontario, of course! Boy, was it worth it? Yes, yes, yes! Absolutely superb, the only caveat being you have to fly between 4-6 thousand feet to fully appreciate the fantastic detail. Flight Ontario have done a marvellous job.I have always been a Go!Zilla fan, up until the most recent versions, that is. The GUI now sucks and it does not seem to be able to cope consistently with broken connections. Time and time again I tried to d/l Thunder Bay from the Avsim file library only to have my connection broken after 5-6MB and Go!Zilla failed to resume despite numerous attempts.Feeling somewhat frustrated I grumbled, as you do, and it was not long before several helpful guys responded on the forum by advising I switch to DAP. So, I thought, what the hell I'll give it a go....Success! After 7-8 hours I finally got the zip but it was not without incident. Like Go!Zilla I suffered periodic broken links (BTopenworld - need I say more?!) and on each occasion the following message appeared on the screen:"Connection to site failed. A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host, while trying to download tbpaks.zip"But, unlike Go!Zilla, when I reconnected to BTopenworld manually and clicked the 'Resume' button in DAP the d/l continued quite happily. This had to be done 4 or 5 times before completion. Fortunately, despite the size of the file (>100MB) it survived intact. No mean feat when you consider the total archive contains 10,866 files!I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this problem? It would of course be nice to be able to go away and leave DAP to download overnight knowing that automation would take care of anything. Currently this seems not to be the case.I note each time DAP connects with the Avsim file library 4 connections are established, each with the same server location:205.252.89.41 Each time I resumed the addresses were always the same.Is this allowed (multiple connections) as it must be soaking up bandwidth if everyone is doing it?Speaking of bandwidth, that's my other slight criticism of DAP. With Go!Zilla I was able to adjust the bandwidth used for a download and this at least allowed me to continue browsing, albeit much more slowly. This facility does not appear to be available in DAP, which is a nuisance for those of us still tied to a 56K modem......no Broadband in my area as yet :( Browsing is well nigh impossible during a d/l as the browser (IE6) slows to a crawl.Otherwise, the fact that DAP succeeded where Go!Zilla failed miserably has got me hooked and Go!Zilla has been removed from my system. Thanks to those who steered me in its direction.Mike :-wave

Glad you did not waste your time! Please enjoy it!! Dan

Question ------ I downloaded this last evening (less than half hour DSL :)) . My question is installation proceedure. I saw two readme's for the Isle Royal and AI traffic installation, but that's all. I must be blind, because I can't find any other instructions. Didn't want to just "unzip" into my FS2002 folder either. Couldn't even find other instructions by looking for past postings. I guess everyone else is just smarter :)Can you help?L.Adamson

Look inside the first zip under the main zip....Dick

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Sure can, you'll find the instructions.doc in the second zip in the archive (TBPAK1.zip) right at the bottom.Don't forget to d/l the tbeffects.zip file as this archive contains several effects missed out by accident from the main archive.Mike :-wave

The instruction read-me was buried in about the middle of all the files on my screen. It just didn't jump out at me...... late last night, I guess :)L.Adamson

Don't know if this'll help you any but I use GetRight - free for a limited number of downloads - but you can specify how many downloads occur at a time - and you can also set up a queue for them to download one after another. It's not really an accelerator though.I use BTOpenworld as well on a 56k - it always kicks me off after 2hrs so I couldn't set up a queue and leave it downloading overnight.

Multiple connections to AVSIM are allowed, but doing so through a 56K dial up doesn't make too much sense. The reason is that no matter how many connections you have opened up, the speed at which the download is going to take place is governed by the limited speed of the 56K line. On a DSL, cable modem, T1 or similar, where there is presumably a lot more bandwidth available, multi connection via DAP actually does increase the speed at which the transfer takes place. They are much larger "pipes" than the 56K, where multiple connections can benefit you. If you are using a 56K line, we suggest that you turn off all but one of DAP's channels. That free's up three ports for use by others.

I'm using NTL World, and they have a 2 hour disconnect too.I use GetRight, it has an option to automatically redial a dropped connection and resume the download.If I have a large download I usually leave it for GetRight to download overnight.