Sign in to follow this  
Guest nutmeat

US National Landclass Beta 2

Guest nutmeat

You're a man of your word! You said earlier that this beta would be ready by the end of the week, and sure enough, here it is! I wish more of the payware vendors were as good with their product announcements. Now, if you could only get the Java requirements off of your web pages...? Many of us using Explorer 6 do not have nor want the Java scripts running.Again, well done! The first beta release was fantastic; I'll try the second this PM.

Guest SoarPics

Hi mgdbottled,I don't wish to derail Justin's thread, but I feel compelled to reply.Nope... no attitude here today (despite the lousy weather lol)I simply feel that Justin is indeed acting properly in coming here to announce his free product. I always take the time to read your usually well thought out and reasoned posts in this forum, but I felt Justin didn't deserve some of the responses he got.Nothing personal to any who disagree with the original posting.And to you I offer::-beerchug I'll leave it you to imagine the brand and container :-) Regards,

HI Nutmeat,When time permits, I'll be constructing an alternate site navigation system, but I've just been in this production habit lately where I'm always working on other stuff. :-)But I've always wondered where this javaphobia comes from. It's just a programming language that adds a lot of functionality and facility and I don't understand the fear or aversion to it that some exhibit. True, it could be used for nefarious purposes, but not by me on my site, that's for sure.In any case, your comment is noted and next time i do a site redesign I'll be incorporating these changes.ThanksJustinFSG

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

Guest nutmeat

Hi Justin,I was a software developer, MS Certified, etc, etc for most of my adult life; did OS and other real time comm stuff. I knew well the internals of Windows et al; also sat and watched the legal beagals wrangle and try to dictate system design with Sun and Co.Maybe I've grown lazy in my "retired years" but, since they did not include it with Explorer 6.0, I don't care to do the seperate download and install from Sun. Who knows?? Some future MS upgrade or "security fix" could come along and screw things up royally; in reading the various postings in which people state their problems with the various versions of Windows and FS, I just want to have FUN, not debug OS interactions.:-) Again, I think your work is great, post all you care to, and let's keep this hobby/profession alive!nutmeat (also an ex jet jockey with non-current pilots license)

Hi Justin -I would like to install your free Beta 2 eastern U.S. landclass to work along with the Watson/Brown Florida landclass (which I'm assuming at this point is still more detailed). Method 2 simply is unzipping your file into the ADDONSCENERY folder and activating through the FS2002 world scenery menu. Your install program seems to be automatic....it searches for my FS2002 main folder and says its ready to install, but never gives the opportunity to install to the ADDONSCENERY folder. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Steve J.P.S. Before attempting the install, I uninstalled your Beta 1 scenery from the START menu. Also, the Beta 1 made a tremendous difference for my VFR flying in the Shenandoahs near my home. Looking forward to the final version!

HI Steve,I guess I should have made it a little more clearer. (I wrote it at 3 in the morning :-)). The "Method 2" is noted in the readme file included with the >>Watson/Brown Florida Landclass<<, so I recommend installing >that< one to it's own folder and adding it to the Scenery Library. This will give it priority over the Florida area in the US National Landclass Project.You're not doing anything wrong. It's a simple install by design, finds FS2002 in the registry and puts the file in the scenery folder. This is the best solution for the masses--quick, simple, and fool-proof.I figure Power-users will already know what to do if they want to use a more advanced method of installing. But, it basically involves after the default installation moving the fsglc_us.bgl file to it's own folder with a scenery subfolder and adding it to the Scenery Library. Do not add a texture subfolder or it won't work.Unistalling the previous beta is your call, since the current beta installs over top of the previous one.Later on I'll have a manual install .zip file option for those who prefer that method.Yes, the Watson/Brown is a nice package, very detailed, and more accurate than my Florida rendition at this point. Phase 1 is pretty much a raw conversion from NLCD to BGL, with very little editing right now. I'm still experimenting with the index mapping and expect to have it pretty well-defined by beta 3, next week.My only criticism (meant constructively) is that the urban areas where I looked around Miami seemed to be using something more appropriate for the dryer southwest. But it's been 10 years since I lived in Hollywood, Florida, so maybe my recollection is buggy. I remember it as much greener. Seemed a bit too brown to me.But it's obvious that a lot of work went into it with great attention to detail. A very commendable effort overall.ThanksJustinFSG

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net