Sign in to follow this  
Guest eko

Twin Otter thoughts

Guest Franken

From what I've read in a few threads by now I think the Otter sounds unfinished as well. :( I'm kind of surprised by this as I was hoping for the ultimate Otter experience from Lago - no less. Certainly glad I didn't jump up and buy it the instant it was released. Money well saved.Dash 8 - where are you?

I can only concur with most of the comments in this thread. The Twotter IS an unfinished product and IMHO overpiced in its current state. It has potential though to become a great aircraft if further developed. These are a few of my early observations:- when in full screen mode menu commands react very slowly (with a delay of 10 - 20 seconds)- throttle, mixture and prop controls cannot be moved with the mouse- at least the amphibian version can only be steered when taxiing with differential braking and not very precise at all- the engine sounds like a lawn mower. I'm not qualified though to judge if this is correct or not.- the panel in VC mode is cristal clear and as good as they come. The rest of the VC is of lesser quality though.- the lack of a complete interior is a missed opportunity, which could have added a lot of value to the package. I find this all the more surprising because the use of Active Camera Pro is recommended in the manual, it is even included in the package. But when using it, you have nowhere to go (except from the pilot's seat to the FO and back)- all settings (heading bug etc.) require invidual mouse clicks to move them one setting ahead. Holding down the mouse doesn't work... - where's the leaver for landing gear in the amphibian?- the textures on the exterior aren't very sharp- for an a/c which was meant to be flown from the VC, the popup windows sometimes get in the way too much. Not a major problem, but other a/c (like the 421 and the Marchetti) come to mind where you feel more thought has been given to the user interface.- awkward animation of the propellers in outside view: at high RPM they seem to stop.You might think i'm very disappointed with my purchase. I'm not, it still is a good product. But it needs more work. Do I feel ripped off? No. Do I feel I paid too much? Yes.Paul

scott you are a lucky guy..you've loved to bits every item you've ever bought.you study every inch of the adverts and have never come unstuck once...i'm envious of you.maybe some people expect too much from aircraft designers..not me.but dont sit in the high chair judging others,because your the perfect flightsimmer?? steve

Interested to read your comments about the FSD Seneca(sad creation)??You have got to be ####### joking!Sad?Tell me where a freeware Seneca is available that even comes close to the FSD version.The payware version from PSS doesn't even come close either,in their defence it must be said that it was originally designed for FS2000.Steve Small did the airfile for the FSD version,and they don't come any better than that.Have you any real flying experience so that you can actually tell the difference,or what have you been smoking today?FSD is the only company where I would risk buying one of their products unseen(I have them all)simply because they are exellent,state of the art,properly tested and accurate products.If you want to know how NOT to do it,look at what's going down with Lagos Twotter at the moment.If Lago want to charge so much money for an aircraft(the FSD Seneca costs $1.50 less by the way)they should at least ensure that it's been properly beta tested before they throw it onto the market for $20.I've seen better FREEWARE Twotters than this mess,I'm glad I waited for the feedback before I went and wasted 20bucks on this balls-up,have fun Grahame EDHL

>FSD is the only company where I would risk >buying one of their products unseen(I have them all)simply >because they are exellent,state of the art,properly tested >and accurate products.I'd buy from Dreamfleet "anyday", product un-seen because of prior experience. Very state of the art----And with RealAir Simulations release of the Marchetti SF260, I wouldn't even hesitate about being the first on the block to get a new release. Lot's of innovation with regard to the air.file and VC cockpit went into this machine. FSD isn't the one and only................. and sometimes their products are even surpassed. I'm personally not as pleased with the Seneca V as some of their prior products. I prefer Dreamfleet's technique of photo/computer graphics for the cockpit panel and VC.L.Adamson

Yeah,I would agree with you,I also have Dreamfleets 737 and also the Marchetti Sf260.I didn't mention them in my other post 'cos the subject was FSD and the Seneca.I hope the few little bugs that the Seneca has will be ironed out when the service release comes in a week or two.Happy flying(but not at the moment with the Twotter...)Grahame EDHL

What a bunch of hypocrits you are! Ok, sure the twotter has some teething troubles. What new peice of software doesn't? But I cant help wondering how many of the crowd who are so eager to jump on the "lets knock Lago" bandwagon were just as eager to jump on the "get it released now" bandwagon. This plane was produced by a guy in russia and not lago themselves and the pressure he must have felt to release must have been tremendous. There was hardly a day went by without at least one preson bleating that they wanted it released like an impatient kid wanting Chrismas early. Perhaps if the developers were left alone to develop in their own time there would be less threads like this one.The moral of all this is when you hear of a new product being announced, Be patient. It will be ready when its ready. Oh! and who ever heard of Lago not fixing anythig that was wrong with thier software? Rest assured all these teething troubles will get fixed.Just get of their back and let them get on with the job.Cheers,Stewart.

Guest Liam

My my,What were the BETA testers thinking of placing their seal of approval on this package? I suppose they could have placed a list of fixes and they got ignored, who knows!!- The visual model is not too bad, but the livery looks wishy washy.....compare this to the same Gmax liveries that come with the freeware Dash 7, well the Dash 7 wins hands down!- The panel, looks very nice in 2D but, so so basic it is untrue. Like many have stated no ability to mouse move any levers, so single engine shut downs for quick turn arounds are not possible. When you have the yoke displayed, it does not move, nor do the half placed levers on the overhead when in cockpit view, so IMHO a waste of processor power even having them displayed. We have NAV radios but no where is there any kind of DME. Mmm trim, I find it always a hazard to guess the ammount of trim you are applying, well I certainly can find no indication of trim (with exception from the light telling meit is centered!)- Other views. VC never been a big fan of those, but does look ropey. Side and flank views......well no effort has been placed on these at all. Any of you have flown the freeware otters will note the nice engine in ya face when looking left :-)- Sounds...mmmm no comment, but they have been replaced.- Air file. I did have some reservations earlier today not doubting those who stated it is a King Air untill I and a simming buddy opened ours up respectively to note......yes they are identical to the default!!! In essence this morning I have paid $20 for a half decent visual model and a half decent panel. The air file I have replaced with the reliable Steve Smalls and sounds by Barry FSSkywork. This has made the package half decent, almost good.But why oh why do developers time after time place items out into the market place with all of the hype that goes with it. I am very dissapointed with the efforts of the Lago team (yes I know they only published it). There has been weeks of the best aircraft around, every pilots dream etc etc banging around, and they unwrap a King Air dressed up as a twin Otter. Very very poor effort, and dissapointing.I am not sure what is happening to developers but Aerosofts much hyped Eurowings package which I was hoping would be so much is good for being a door stop at best, I hear from others the Wilco Airports 2002 is good for fueling fires over the cold winter period.With such a large market out there now within the flight simming community one would have thought developers would get it right, or are we now being subjected to mass produced tripe, knowing they will sell a few hundred and that the market is so big no one will know!Come on guys lets get back to the days and quality of PIC and DF!!!!regards guysLiamP.S. I have writen a very strong letter to Lago demanding my money back!

Guest lou ross

Am a former twotter pilot and read some comments- here are a few for your info: Standard procedure at an airport (ie commuter airline ops) was to take-off and land with flaps set at 20 degrees, props were always set at 75 to 80%. (Higher rpm was not used in these ops because it was REALLY noisy- and unnecessary). Cruise props were set at 75%. In fact, the a/c DOES slow up quite rapidly. Hold 160 kias until inside the outer marker, pull power back, begin slowing, set 20 degrees flaps, easy landing a/c. STOL ops: power off, flaps full, props full forward, in which case 500 foot runway is more than you need. The engines do not sound like power mowers and you can easily see the engines from the cockpit window. Lose an engine: bring prop lever on good engine up to 90 to 100% (obviously feather prop on dead engine). You can idle an engine and then feather that prop as the prop gear box and engine are seperate units (free turbine).

>you are a lucky guy..you've loved to bits every item you've >ever bought.you study every inch of the adverts and have >never come unstuck once...i'm envious of you.maybe some >people expect too much from aircraft designers..not me.but >dont sit in the high chair judging others,because your the >perfect flightsimmer?? Steve,I can't think of a single purchase which I have regretted in the least. Each one of my aircraft has recieved use in some way or another, wether the panel was great, and the model was abysmal (like the PSS 777 and 747, which get use with POSKY aircraft), or if it was the other way around. I've generally avoided dissapointment by researching the vendors of my product, though I trust that I will enjoy aircraft from people like FSD and DF on past experience alone. If I do make an impulsive purchase however, like I have with the FSD Seneca, I don't get angry if its not everything I expected, because I didn't research enough. It also seems like it is always the lesser known designers that get hammered when people rush into a buy, expecting the holy grail of FS products, only to find that it isn't quite what they were expecting. As I said, the bottom line is that you can't blame the vendor for your lack of research.Scott

Guest gasebah

>I prefer Dreamfleet's technique of photo/computer graphics for the >cockpit panel and VC.Do me a favor and count the number of gauges of the DF Cardinal VC and the ones in the seneca. I guess if you do a Seneca VC with the same amount of gauges noone would be willing to take teh framerate hit. The Seneca is a much more complex palne.Alex

I sure would hope not !! :-lolAs many of you will know, I have absolutely nothing against LAGO, love their latest releases in mesh, airports and utilities. And Mathijs knows me well enough to know I am not a flamer of any kind.I also know Mathijs to be a gentleman and I think he is somewhat disappointed himself in the release this weekend. The problems started popping up as soon as we downloaded the Otter and my guess is that LAGO just did not have experience enough with aircraft testers to assure a proper beta. Just my personal opinion, nothing else.I am also convinced that LAGO will do whatever is needed to either improve the product in order to get it up to the proper level everybody has come to expect, or to dump it if that is not achievable.Kind regards,Francois :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_052.htm]Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][br][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75b.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog